Experimenting with spraypaint

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Jul 17, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Bought a rattle can of black Rustoleum appliance epoxy enamel yesterday. Coated my brassed NEW and the Clix head, as it goes very well with the bar handle. Initial coat is still curing but it has not obscured the fine knurling. So far it looks surprisingly good, tho a little glossy for my taste. Will go one more coat tomorrow, then the durability testing begins. Worst that can happen is, I eventually have to strip off the black in a tub of Purple Power.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Do we get to see it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

battle.munky likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:signs011:. No pics, didn't happen.

macaronus, AGHisBBS and battle.munky like this.
  4. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Use PlastiDip for the handle. Easy no-slip grip, and if you don't like it, it just peels right off.

5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

An errant bit of dust hit one of the caps while spraying so I need to sand it for a second coat. Once that's done, and they've sat in the sun awhile, I'll post something. Interesting that this particular spray says it does not need primer and is rated for metal; may not be perfect but it has to hold up better than a .99 cent can of junk enamel.

whiteboy_cannon and ob1page like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I like the stuff but the price has jumped from the last time I bought some. One thing I want to avoid is losing detail on the handle knurling, and I think Dip would take a little away from it.

whiteboy_cannon likes this.
  7. '65 G-Slim

The spray goes on pretty thin...not sure how durable it would be, though. One coat is probably all you could do before losing detail, too. I reckon one coat wouldn't last too long.

8. cigarlover

cigarlover Well-Known Member

Yes- pics please

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

With a regular enamel I agree. This is epoxy, though, so figure it might be tougher. For under $5 a can, worth the experiment.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

if it doesn't work, but hopefully it will cause that paint is pretty durable, and you want to try it again, use etching primer before the color coat. It adheres better to what ever you want to paint and the color coat also will be more durable.

whiteboy_cannon, ob1page and gorgo2 like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    very-interesting-2 .jpg

ob1page likes this.
  12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good idea. A soak in straight degreaser* will remove any paint that won't stand up, so no harm if this doesn't work.

*brass or steel...it dissolves aluminum

ob1page likes this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The paint needs a surface with some "tooth" to adhere properly. I know this sounds a bit painful, but the head should be sanded lightly so the paint has a proper surface to cling to.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I did so on the caps but nowhere else. If this stuff won't adhere without it, then the experiment with this paint bombs; don't want to sand the handle. Ah well. I've got an unbuilt model of the '68 Charger that can use a coat of gloss black.

whiteboy_cannon, RyX, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

16. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The handle probably won't need any sanding, just the cap. Try it. You've got nothing to lose.

whiteboy_cannon and jimjo1031 like this.
  18. '65 G-Slim

I meant the spray PlastiDip. More than one coat of it would probably obliterate any detail on the handle. I made a cargo rack for a Sportster a few years back & coated it with Plastidip. Held up pretty good, too, but will eventually peel off at contact points.

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You do know that if it turns out well for you, we all might try it.

:)

ob1page likes this.
  20. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

My thoughts exactly