F. Herder 77- scale focus

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by TestDepth, Dec 30, 2017.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Took a break from it. The blank ended up a little thicker than I like - probably since I mixed the colors separately... not sure. Normally 60 ml does the trick.
    Either way my hands were begging for a break :).

Spyder and Keithmax like this.
  2. TestDepth

I bet you thought I forgot... and maybe I did a little. :)
    Not a tremendous amount done, but I wanted to get the scales roughly shaped. I like to do this in natural light... so I am done for today.

Coming up with the design and shape.
    4A0092F6-367D-48B4-B79D-D8245B1AAC75.jpeg
    Just used a vintage set of scales to get the right curves, and then I squared off the wedge end (from the original round shape) to get a larger amount of the copper colored material on that end. I think a square will work well and accent the camel bone.

Made two paper patterns, double sided tape to the blank, and used a coping saw to rough cut the scales.

I then unleashed the dremel with a sanding drum and finished off taking down the material. Doesn’t sound like much but that is where I am currently.
    4168870C-135E-41BB-B736-6CF27CA76498.jpeg
    And the look with the blade:
    D4E5E54C-6327-4812-BF36-43CCCA22A1FE.jpeg
    Still got to thin them down, then join them together to get the final shape I want. This is too wide, but this is by design at this point.
    Have fun!

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Lookin good, Tom! Is there gonna be a finish of some kind? I guess with bone and epoxy, the answer is no, but I’m brain dead tonight;)

TestDepth and Keithmax like this.
  4. TestDepth

I like to finish with CA glue. I think the wood gets stronger and it brings out the sparkle in the epoxy. At least that is the current plan. :)

Drygulch, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I know the work behind hand surfacing. Great job!

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

CA does make a great finish! Easy too, even I can do it:)
    They’re gonna look great!

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  7. scottysauce123

scottysauce123 New Member

It's going to look great. It reminds me of the copper mining and diamlndbacks here in Arizona. Make that blade copper or black and it would blend so nice.
    Can't wait to see the finished product!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Spyder and TestDepth like this.
  8. TestDepth

Thanks guys. It’s slowly coming along, and it is shaping up the way i had hoped. Fingers still crossed!

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  9. TestDepth

Once they start looking like scales I get excited... got some stuff done today.

I both thinned and thinned :) - getting them under 1/8” thick and decreasing the width so they don’t look so clunky. Thickness was reduced with 220 on a flat tile, and I used the dremel’s sanding drum to ever so slowly reduce the circumference, mostly focusing on the bottom radius.

Once I got to where I liked the thickness and shape, I taped the two halves together and also taped some 400 grit sandpaper to a socket and used it to create a bevel around the edge. I also like to use my DMT325 to flatten areas if possible.
    4DB445BD-6F5A-428A-8EB8-2BF2EA6FE922.jpeg
    If possible, I like to not sand the inside all the way to wood, keeping a backing of sort to strengthen the scale- at least that is the theory I am going with :). Before I split the halves I drilled my pinning holes by using a 1/16 then 5/64 bit. Here is the backside:
    47058E9A-DE7F-4975-B54D-5891A64AEDE0.jpeg
    Flattened some more with the 400 socket and got ready for the CA glue. Here is the before:
    FC2E98B8-A7A2-4ED2-B960-DD3297939471.jpeg
    I use cheap and thin glue for these applications, and here is the first coat applied.
    By the way, crazy ending to the game!?!?!
    5DEDF32D-CAE4-483E-A1CA-24FCB83307E7.jpeg
    I’ll turn to the wedge next as I apply more CA.
    Tom

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looks great Tom! :happy108:

Spyder and TestDepth like this.
  11. scottysauce123

Wow, looks great!

12. TestDepth

Thank you - I really think the copper and black mixed well. And the spalted maple (thank you for that info) adds a really interesting pattern.

Spyder likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Those are turning out great. :happy088::happy088:

14. TestDepth

Thank you Scott!

I am debating adding a 3rd pin. I’m thinking it might break up the carbon black but might be in a weird relation to the start of the wood... just thinking out loud.

Spyder likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I wouldn't, unless you need the scales reinforced. It looks good, as is.

16. scottysauce123

I'd say that depends. Can you find copper pins? Black pins? Adding some decorative looking pins can bring out the mettalic in the copper. If you find 2 larger decorative looking copper or even brass pins like the ones used on knives then 2 should be enough I'd think.

17. scottysauce123

There is a USAKNIFEMAKER website that sells pins like I described. Many options available.[​IMG]

18. TestDepth

Getting close... partially/mostly because I am tired of sanding :).

Cast of characters for this evening...
    D582CAEF-2552-41DB-8B07-7109A887DDE4.jpeg
    I won’t go in detail on CA application as others have already done a better job than I could. I only did 3 applications because most of this is resin. Big thing I try to remember is big or small shiny spots are bad... I try to have them gone by 800 grit.

All sandpaper was applied to my trusty socket and worked up through 2500. Used some Turtle Wax rubbing compound, then a couple of rounds with Flitz, and then finished with Renaissance Wax.

The wedge is hidden down there and has a nice 2:1 ratio inside to outside. Another joy to hand sand. :)

Has some sanding marks still, and I may go back, but really I just want to put this puppy together. But I also want dinner!
    C697B6C4-835D-4534-AE0A-6ED92F6644A8.jpeg
    Have a great night.
    Tom

19. TestDepth

So close... and I could have waited for it to be 100% done, but I thought it looked pretty good finally pinned.

Cast of characters for the world’s slowest “pinner”:
    EA777680-76A9-4533-96B9-2AB218DA29DF.jpeg
    Decided that the brass worked with the colors. Brass rod and brass washers both internal and external.
    I use the drill press head to start the peen.

Hundreds, or what seemed like thousands, of taps later it feels pretty good, is on center, and the heads look pretty good. I think the magnifying glasses have helped me with this lately - making accurate strikes. I hold way down the handle and basically just let the head bounce.

So here we go, some glamour shots before I screw it up sanding the bone flush :).
    7C06A5F9-D281-451E-8815-ED08C5D95FEF.jpeg
    And the other side.
    9E33ACD5-826F-4EFB-8A19-400758DC7308.jpeg
    And the comparison to the gorgeous old baby blue hunks of plastic.
    31BF305B-ACD3-4CBC-A700-3BA9398779E7.jpeg
    Thanks for hanging with me for 3 weeks and hopefully I can finish this up for my SOTD on Sunday night.
    Tom.

20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Awesome job, Tom! How many coats of ca did you end up using??

TestDepth likes this.