F. Reynolds

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Spyder, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Guys: Just scored this one fo a sawbuck. Pretty decent shape overall. The scales (ugly design imo) are in excellent condition. The blade is actually pretty decent, but has a ton of hone wear. Appears a lot of the blade has disappeared over the multiple honing sessions. It measures just barely ove 4/8
    The question is:
    • How far would you recommend restoring i.e. polishing, etc.
    • How would you go about honing? I've never had encountered this much hone wear .
    It also looks to be quite old as it's lacking the country of origin.

IMG_1138.JPG IMG_1139.JPG IMG_1142.JPG

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Its Origin..Sheffield..England..I have Honed Many an SR with More Hone Wear than that & they Shave Great..Sometimes More than One Layer of Tape is Needed & Maybe Even More Tape on the Bits with Most Hone Wear on the Spine to Get it Sorta Even Steven..A Razor Like that..Personally I Would Just Polish it with Alloy Auto Sol & Leave it at that..:)
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...r.html&usg=AFQjCNGPaSaL7XA-3joObuNEj7sstbCnuA

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, Spyder and HolyRollah like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Blade dates from the mid to latter half of the 19th century. Those cheap, single-pin 'faux bamboo' scales show up on a number of razors and I'd wager they were not the original to this razor—unless the importer stuck em on.

Re Honing— per Billy's comments, it's salvageable but may require more than a single tape layer. Use a black Sharpie™ along the edge and try it first with a single layer of tape. You'll see where the edge is making contact (or not) with the hone.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Thanks guys:)
    Billy: where the heck you been hiding lately ? :char039:

Kevin: I was thinking the same thing about the scales, I would assume the originals would be either horn or bone....

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Ach..Ya Don't Wonna Know..I Suffered there for a Couple of Months with a Big Release of 55 Years of Tension in my Shoulders & Upper Back with My Chi Gung Training & Mediation for Martial Arts..Chi Gung is Brutal Training for Internal Martial Arts Systems..Few Can Take it..:D

The Good News is I Feel Like an Old Pile of Bones & My Flesh Hanging Like a Jelly Fish..Traditional Martial Arts Training is Brutal for the Serious Practitioner that Comes to it at Mid or Later Life..:sad024:

My Last Big Release of Tension in the Body..I Am Almighty Now..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Well I unpinned it and lightly sanded through all the progressions. It has slight pitting and didn't want to remove much metal. I used three grits of buffing compound with the dremel and finished with polish. The scales were cleaned and polished. It's ready to re-pin and hone, when I get the ambition:)

IMG_1147.JPG