Face lathering a shave cream

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Alex7, Mar 21, 2015.

1. TwinsDad-99

TwinsDad-99 New Member

I made the same mistake once and thought my face was bursting into flames! I love TOBS stuff, but diving in like a soap was WAY too much for my face.

2. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

As for saving time, by the time I've managed a proper lather from face lathering, I could have just used the bowl and finished a complete 3-pass shave + combed the hair!

I..cannot...figure... out... how... to... face lather...! Or let me rephrase - I don't want to bother learning it. :D

Omelmad likes this.
  3. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Do you bowl lather?

4. tuxxdk

I bowl lather the life out of my bowl everyday :) I've tried the face two times, each with devastating failure. Plus, I like the feeling of the bowl in my hand and the process of building the lather within.

I'm sure face lathering is easy when proper learned.

Omelmad likes this.
  5. Omelmad

I started off bowl lathering but people got me into face lathering. They said it prepares the beard a little better. How is it with bowl lathering?

6. tuxxdk

I guess it depends on how much you brush the face. I brush quite a lot, to work the lather in and lift the stubble. Also I like the feeling :)

7. Omelmad

I might try it again. I might like it =) I guess my facial hairs are already soft enough after a shower

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I NEVER bowl-lather. I find it's a waste of time.

9. Omelmad

I gotta try Bowl lathering again =P

10. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I don't have much to add. The various responses above are all good advice. For me I find every cream is different, so when I get a new cream I experiment with various techniques until I find the best approach. Generally, I enjoy face lathering -- I wet my face and my brush, squeeze a good dab of cream on the brush and I start lathering. Also, I have found that some shave creams have a consistency of hand lotion and do not lather. Those you just rub into your stubble.