Facepalm time.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Kraken98, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Kraken98

Kraken98 Well-Known Member

You ever just do something stupid like confirm a bid before double checking it and end up bidding $50 instead of $1.50? thank god ebay has auto bid instead of just instantly bidding the price you put in. Always double check.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Keithmax likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope never...ok not often...ok sometimes....never mind...it happens.

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was bidding for a rare book for my brother and was willing to go to $32.50 for it. When I entered it on my phone, my eyes being bad and all, I missed the decimal and entered $3250. Fortunately the bidding stopped prior to $32.50, but it could have gotten ugly.

4. Kraken98

I don't imagine it will go far past my original intended bid. I certainly hope not. I'll know in 7 hours!

Enrico likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you want I can help you out by throwing a few bid on it ..... :shocked003::happy097:

GarnerPW, AGHisBBS, jtspartan and 3 others like this.
  6. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Do feel free to tell us which item it was so we can "watch" it. :angelic007: :D

GarnerPW, AGHisBBS, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs136:

AGHisBBS, Kraken98 and Screwtape like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yea...what he said.

AGHisBBS, Kraken98 and Screwtape like this.
  9. Kraken98

Thankfully I'd passed out and by the time I'd woken up it was sold for $.99 it was just a degraded old gillet cap. Not really worth the price of shipping but if somewhere down the line I need a piece in the future I'll have it.

RyX likes this.
  10. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Never placed too high a bid by accident, buuut...

I've looked at two items from the same seller before, messaged the guy and had a quick chat, confidently decided to bid and accidentally placed the bid on the wrong item! And without realising he accepted!

He messaged me saying basically "oops, I've accepted your bid on a more expensive item. Please don't make me send it!".

I messaged back along the lines of "it's ok - I want the other one anyway!"

It all worked out ok .

RyX and Enrico like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy102:

Dansco likes this.
  12. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

@Enrico Might be a good way to sneak some money off a future purchase... :signs136:

Enrico likes this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I once got the decimal in the wrong place on a $12 bid, right at the end of an auction. Naturally, my $1,200 bid won by a long shot. The seller was understanding and cancelled the bid and relisted.

Herm

mrchick and Enrico like this.
  14. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Well darn! If you had only told me which item it was, out of the goodness of my heart, I could have provided you with a valuable life lesson by underbidding it to $48.99! :angelic007: :p

mrchick likes this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Fortunately in circumstances like these, you can retract your bid:

Changing or retracting your bid
    As a general rule, you can't retract or cancel a bid. Once you place a bid, you agree to pay for the item if you're the winning bidder. However, honest mistakes sometimes occur.

If you want to retract a bid:

• Review the conditions and time restrictions for canceling a bid in an auction-style listing.

• If you feel you have a valid reason for canceling a bid, fill out a Bid Retraction.

• If you want to cancel a Best Offer, use the Best Offer Cancellation form.
    If you won an item and you no longer want to buy it, you need to contact the seller.

A bid on eBay is considered a contract, and you're obligated to purchase the item. Read about changing your mind about an item.

Under what conditions can I retract a bid?

Whether you can retract a bid depends on the circumstances and timing of the bid. You can retract a bid for the following reasons:

• You accidentally entered the wrong bid amount due to a typographical error. For example, you bid $99.50 instead of $9.95. If this happens, you need to reenter the correct bid amount right away. Changing your mind does not qualify as accidentally entering a wrong bid amount.

• The item's description changed significantly after you entered your last bid. For example, the seller updated details about the item's features or condition.

• You can't reach the seller by telephone or email.