Family Dollar DE blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by urrlord, Oct 8, 2017.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

A few days ago I was in the local Family Dollar picking up a few items and I walked past the shaving section.I stopped and out of idle curiosity picked up the 5pack of de blades and flipped it over and took a look.Made in Vietnam......hmmm.Would this be a step up or down from the Dollar General Korean blades.
    I thought about it for a minute and decided to chance it.

The next a.m. I loaded up a Superspeed black handle and washed my face with warm water several times.Was I about to have a good or bad experience?I applied a layer of Rise shave cream lotion.I did a three pass shave with cool water and reapplication of Rise .When I rinsed the razor I noticed there was not as much hair floating in the sink as usual.I rinsed my face with cool water and felt decent.It was not a BBS,almost a DFS.Just a decent shave.,But I felt some irritation.Then I applied after shave,Whoa! a good bit of burn.

The second day I used the Superspeed but used prorasa green and a warm brush.I did a three pass shave with a definite bit of close stubble left.Aftershave was not as intense.

The third day I repeated the equipment of the second day.The razor dragged a bit despite the Prorasa..
    I shaved at 9am and by noon I had a five o'clock shadow.

Basically These are a slight improvement on Dorco's.They seem to be a 2-3 use blade on moderate beard growth like mine.Use in case of travel or emergency only.

I took one for the team.......

2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Those would be the Dorco STD-301 blades, not to be confused with the regular ST-301 Platinum blade or the STP-301 Prime Platinum blade. (I know, it's confusing.)

The STD-301 blade is a bit strange in that it is *extremely* thin. As a result, it doesn't seem to work well in a SuperSpeed which, it seems, does not clamp the blade tightly enough. In other words, part of the problem you had is blade chatter.

You may find that they work better in a three-piece razor. I know I've had good luck with them in several models of Tech and New.

YMMV but something to consider.

3. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I'll give them a shot in one of my Star 's or my Atomic razor tomorrow.I thought the Dorco's were South Korean made,I guess they bought a factory in Vietnam.
    Thanks for the advice.