Fat boy fail?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mikel, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Mikel

Mikel New Member

Hi,

I just received this fat boy purchased on eBay very genuine sounding seller this was the description

Gillette Adjustable Razor F3 with box . In good used condition. Estate find, unknown history, age or other details. Works normally. Shows some signs of age and use, slight soil, tarnish, light scuffs. Made no attempt to clean or polish. E-Mail with any questions. Thanks!

Unfortunately it looks crooked so unusable, excuse the pics but do you think that this would be a simple repair or am I best just contacting the seller to discuss some sort of refund?

Not sure if makes any difference but paid $35 plus postage US to UK and customs fees and handling this end.

image.jpg image.jpg

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

What are you referring to in the pictures, as I don't see anything crooked?

Mikel likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Looks alone won't tell the whole story of how it will shave - you gotta try it. If it isn't satisfactory, then contact the seller.

Mikel likes this.
  4. Mikel

Mikel New Member

Hi Williams Warrior,

What I was trying to show is that without moving the tto bit on the end the plate that includes the guide bars is visible on one side and not on the other so about 1mm out here is a shot of the side that will hopefully illustrate what I mean

image.jpg

Good point swarden43, so focused on it looking crooked I hadn't considered giving it a go. Guess I'll be paying extra attention to what I'm doing!

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Ouch! Once I clicked on the image I can see what you mean. I hope it all works out for you.

Mikel likes this.
  6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Ahh, I see now what you're talking about. As Steve said just give it a try.

Mikel likes this.
  7. Mikel

Mikel New Member

Cheers guys guess I'll be giving it a go in the morning.

8. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

It can be a simple fix. I have found them that way and was able to fix it.

First option: Find a proper straight table edge or piece of wood. Put the bar that is out of line on it and put pressure toward the end you want to bend back up or down.

Second option: Stick a butter knife blade in the cut out slot. Bend it!

Do NOT try to bend it back all at once use very little pressure. Check in between bending it you don't want to make it worse.

PLANofMAN and Mikel like this.
  9. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I have a Slim that was worse than yours and was able to get it bent more or less back where it should be. It's still not perfectly straight but it shaves just fine. I think yours will probably work ok as is.

Mikel likes this.
  10. Mikel

Mikel New Member

Well, gave it a go I'm not cut to pieces but it was a pretty random shave not really getting a feel for what was going on. Guess will try a bit harder to see what's bent, the blade gap is identical both sides so guessing the whole plate could be bent.

11. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

No one else has mentioned it but you got a hell of a deal at $35. There had to be something a little off about it that it didn't bid a lot higher. I hope it's an easy fix for you, I think it will be.

Mikel likes this.
  12. Weeper Warrior

It may be that it at some point was dropped and the rod inside that holds the doors is bent. If so lock it down and push up with your thumb on the side that is down.

Mikel likes this.
  13. Mikel

Mikel New Member

Hi Mouser I had a saved search on eBay and just kept checking, it was on a buy it now.

$48 if include postage and £13 on top this end customs and handling fees
    Once kids are in bed later will try and see if any of Weeper Warriors excellent suggestions will solve it. Happy with the price if I can happily use it. Cheers for all the help.

14. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

They can go for well over $100, over $120 even. So if you can fix it for under $70 worth of your labor you've done dam good. My fat Boy is my best of my bunch.
    I wish you luck and many great shaves my friend.

Mikel likes this.
  15. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I think you will be able to fix it using Weeper Warrior's method. I've used this same method to fix several razors. Good luck.

Mikel likes this.
  16. Mikel

Mikel New Member

Well I think a combination of both may have made a good improvement, the rod is still obviously slightly bent but the final tighten of the tto seems to help too.

Thanks for the advice Weeper Warrior and support from everyone else, roll on the morning and fingers crossed.

I gave the seller the link to this thread as I'm sure that she totally sold in good faith and hope she doesn't think I was likely to try it on when telling her of the problem. Hope there are no rules broken!

17. flyboy718

flyboy718 Active Member

For what its worth...I have the same problem with my flea market Fat Boy find. I paid $3 bucks for it! I will get around to bending it back soon. Makes me wonder if this is a common occurance for some reason with the Fat Boy?

Mikel likes this.
  18. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've bought one Gillette (a Slim) with this problem so it's probably fairly common with all the TTOs that have seen some use, and maybe a drop or two.

Mikel and Weeper Warrior like this.
  19. Mikel

Mikel New Member

What a relief, all ok now. Many thanks all, bending the bars made the most difference and the rod having a slight bend was adding to things.

Weeper Warrior do you just mean lock Down the doors then push to adjust the bent rod?

20. Weeper Warrior

Yes...and push up on the side...you will feel the inside spring flex a bit.

Mikel likes this.