fatboy owners....what is you blade and setting combo?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sean102385, Sep 28, 2014.

1. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

4 or 5 on the face...1 on the neck

2. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Searched for "gillette blade gap" That one was similar to others I have seen.

ObiDon likes this.
  3. goodmoodmike

goodmoodmike Member

5 or 6, blue persona blades.

4. Silverirae

Silverirae Active Member

I used Med Preps on 6 if I remember correctly

5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

And useful if your Adjustable has its guard bars outta whack.

markjnewcomb likes this.
  6. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I change settings depending on the blade. My thinking is use the mildest setting that you can still get a BBS with three passes. There's nothing inherently "macho" in going more aggressive then you need.

BigMark likes this.
  7. goodmoodmike

goodmoodmike Member

8. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

For me, after using my recently acquired Fatboy a few times, I've settled on setting it to "8". I have a question though... Is it normal for the Fatboy to make a clicking noise like something internal shifting as you shave? Instead of having a higher angle of attack and letting the weight of the razor do the work, I take a shallower angle of attack and apply a little pressure (mostly on the head of the razor) as described on another thread as an optional technique in shaving. I get better results that way... but my Fatboy makes a pop or click sometimes when I flip it over to get a clean edge and start applying pressure after one side gets full of lather. Is that normal?

9. TideFan195

TideFan195 Member

5, with Astra Superior Platinums.

10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Are you sure you've snugged the doors down, then one more 1/4 turn to lock it down?

Radiotube likes this.
  11. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

Thanks for the answer. I was afraid to turn it too tight and possibly over tighten it. I'll try a little more force tomorrow morning. (Crossing fingers)

12. TideFan195

TideFan195 Member

Yeah, I have never had any clicking sound with any of my Gillette adjustables - I have a Fatboy, a Slim, and a Super Adjustable. My guess is that it isn't properly tightened down, so your blade is skipping around in there, like somebody has already said. don't worry about over tightening. You don't want to over do it, obviously, but you can still turn it until it is snug.

Radiotube likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glad to help.
    Just hope the fix is that easy.

Radiotube likes this.
  14. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

We shall find out mañana.

15. Peter Cupitt

Peter Cupitt robe-wearing whale shaver

I am still puzzled with my fatboy and slim, what setting is best. Doesn't seem to make much difference really. They shave. From all I read and have heard I was expecting BIG things. I like them but I have better performing cheaper razors that are not even Gillettes. Perhaps I should revisit for a while and retry?

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have always liked my slim adjustables and usually left them on 7 or 8 but since trying the Cadet open comb I have not had the desire to use the slim. I like an aggressive razor and the cadet certainly is

17. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Usually 6, with a Voskhod

18. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

OK... I tightened up the old E4 Fatboy to the point I couldn't turn it any tighter and I STILL got a "click" in the mechanism when I switched from one blade edge to the other during my shave this morning. It wasn't but one time though. It sounds like it is inside the handle where it clicks, not the blade shifting, so after my shave, I fiddled with the knob at the bottom while it was tightened and it can be moved from side to side a little and I was able to reproduce the sound, not quite as loud as it did when I was shaving, but reproducible. So perhaps the mechanism is slightly loose? I hesitate to do anything about it right now because I still get a beautiful shave with it and I would miss it if I sent it off somewhere for repair. BBS shave this morning with a Personna blue on it's 4th shave and Proraso white soap.

As an aside, if I were to send it off to be replated, would the replater disassemble it and restore the mechanism part in addition to plating it? I love this razor and wouldn't mind having it replated with a fresh plating. I suppose it would depend on which plating service I selected.

19. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Uh oh... Hopefully that isn't bad? I know some here can fix that sort of thing so hopefully it doesn't come to that