Favorite Blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Baron, Feb 18, 2007.

?

What's Your Fave?

1. Feather

31 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. IP

9 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Derby

22 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Merkur

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Swedish Gillette

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wilkinson

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Other (tell us!)

55 vote(s)
    43.3%
  8. Blade? What Blade?

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

2007-06-13

Feathers and Derby right now. It could change. You never know. :D

2. My favourite would have to be Gillette Silver Blue.

Paul

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Paul - perhaps you can give some info on the "Silver Blue"

Where are they manufactured, how are they different than the Swedish Gillette, what are they coated with?

4. I find the blues just a sharp but smoother than the swedes. I can't provide any manufacturers specs but I believe they are uncoated. They were manufactured by Gillette Czech S.R.O before they went independent. The Czech factory now makes LEON double edge.

Paul

5. Areler67

Areler67 New Member

Hello,

My fav is Feather I also like IP and Dorco....

Raphaël

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Raphael!

7. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Welcome Raphaël, kick off your shoes and relax.
    Some good blades choices, which Dorco do you use? I tried some of the earlier ones and didn't care for them.

Best,

8. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I just recently resumed blade exploration. My choice previously was the Feather, but I got to wondering about the brands I hadn't tried. First was a made-in-England Wilkinson, which I liked better than the Feather---then a made-in-Germany Wilkinson, which I liked better than the English one. So now I'm trying all sorts of new brands. I got the large sampler here and am working through it.

9. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I'm exploring as well, and having good results! What do you think of the blades from Giovanni? So far, I have only tried this Treet....but it is working quite well:

[​IMG]

10. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I've found a couple of good blades, and I've just begun: the made-in-Germany Wilkinsons and the Astra Superior Platinum. Of course, a good blade for me could be a bad blade for you and vice versa. No substitute for really trying the blade.

11. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    Bump! Astra SP

GatorJoe likes this.
  12. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I voted Other because my favorite blade isn't up there. In fact my top 3 blades aren't up there. I would vote for Astra SP, Astra SS and Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge !!!

BigMike likes this.
  13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I voted other for Astra Keramik, they were around in 2007. They are still around in my secret hoard...

14. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

really digging these gillette platinum-plus'...so "other" was my vote, but I rank them tied with astra SP's, and feathers below that.

15. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

A thread dug up from 2007?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    gorgo2 and KLF like this.
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice to see people using the search feature.

gorgo2 and BigMike like this.
  17. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

Right now the double wrapped Dorco 301s are my favourite but I alternate between the following...

Dorco 300s
    Persona Israelis
    Feather
    Voskhod Teflon
    Polsilver Super Iridium

Although I'm having a bit of trouble with the Polsilvers just recently. I don't know it it's me or whether there's some inconsistency in the manufacturing but one pack I tried was absolutely amazing shave. Bought some more and it was like shaving with a blunt blade so I might give them a miss next time I order and just stick to the others.

Jasman likes this.
  18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My blades of choice aren't listed, although three of the listed blades are my least favorite. My "other' blade choice's as of now are:
    Polsilver Super Iridium,
    Vikings Sword(Israeli Personna)
    Astra SP.
    All three blades give me stellar shaves.:happy088:

19. The Wizard

The Wizard Active Member

Nice to see another Dorco fan. My top 3 are the same as yours but I put Feather last in my top 3.

I find Feathers to be too aggressive for daily shaving but it's an essential part of my toolkit for cutting through the long grass on days when I haven't shaved for some time and I need to slice off several or more days growth with ease.

I find Feathers too scratchy and harsh to use on a daily basis and open up too many bleeders even when I'm being super careful and they leave me feeling quite sore and irritated post shave for at least a couple of hours afterwards.

I find that Dorcos are nearly almost as sharp as Feathers but with the added bonus of not having my face ripped to shreds and leaving me feeling sore afterwards. Whilst Feathers are certainly the sharpest weapon in my armoury, it's nowhere near the most comfortable.

20. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I've been experimenting with a variety of blades now for 6 months, going back and forth between several, all with the same razor and prep. It's amazing the difference between all the blades. I feel like I should write as essay on them when I'm done, though that could still be a while.

NickMach007 and The Wizard like this.