Favorite Handle Profile

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by RyX, Dec 30, 2016.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Do you have a brush that fits your hand just right? There are so many shapes, but far as I can tell, no universally agreed descriptors.

One of the first brushes I purchased is an Omega Pro #10098. (Below left) It set my mind on what a brush should be. The fan bristles aren't as common as bulb knots.

That brush might have lead me to the Rubberset 400. Similar profile on the handle & there's that fan knot again. I have an original to be reknotted one day. The B-400 crafted by @twhite has a synthetic knot and a solid handle. (Below center) The lines are too close to original to distinguish from a vintage unit.

When I had the chance to have a brush crafted to my liking that same shape was my first choice. I harvested the Cypress and @Jayaruh sculpted the handle. (Below right)

handle profile preferance.gif

I'm at a loss to name the shape of this handle. Anyone have a clue?

What's your favorite handle profile? Photos, please!

2. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I think that handle shape is most commonly called a barber style handle. At least if you Google that these style handles are what comes up.

3. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I prefer the handle on the right. The shape fits my hand well.

Sent using Tapatalk

4. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Paladin's Lotus.

Dzia Dzia, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Lotus-26-IV_grande.jpg
    I see the resemblance. Other forums reference a M7, another brush with a similar shape.
    There doesn't seem to be a consensus or standard for the different shapes. Exacerbated by each manufacture having their own interpretation of a common profile.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Chris @cmorris357, That does yield mostly the shape I like.
    The only profile I can think of that's a named type is the beehive. The next best thing is naming a particular maker/model.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice picture. That barbershop shape is a great shape.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  8. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Less is More. I like it. Do you know the maker?

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Barber style handles are too long for my taste. I like vase-like shaped handles.

178-bplatoon, RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I prefer a slightly smaller, simpler handle. The two I own that I enjoy the most are shown below. Unfortunately, I don't really like the knots in either, so they may be my first two transplants.
    Scanlon.jpeg VDH.jpg

I've always loved these handles, though I don't own either of these brushes, as again, I'm not crazy about the knots that are offered with them.
    VL_Gourd.jpg VL_Barrel.jpeg

RaZorBurn123, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

And there in lies my issue. A google search of "vase shaped shaving brush handles" yeilds a plethora of profiles. Generally I do see a shorter overall shape.
    I have large hands so the more handle available means less lather to run down my elbow. I'm a messy shaver. Also found that while using a shavette I preferr a wetter lather increasing the dribbles.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

The top one looks like a Thater I've seen before. I did start with and still have a VDH boar. Shedding so much that it's been retired but I've developed some preferances since I bought it.
    If I was to assign a classification to your profile of choice I'd say "Barrel" shaped.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  14. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Fairly accurate. Yes, the Scanlon is based on the Thater handles. I've been looking at customs, and the most common descriptions for the handles I've liked have been reverse tulip (a la the VDH handle) or gourd (the first Vie Long I showed).

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you! That's the kind of information I'm looking for.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

It is an Eveready 500 with a 22mm WD synthetic.

Greg W.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Beautifully clear Lucite! Paul Cézanne approved.

Carbide Mike and Robyflexx like this.
  18. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

9d15ea05e320253ae2161ee1ae90edc9.jpg Talking with a friend about a sheleighly like handle as a curiosity .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I prefer a larger handle, something like the Big Bruce from RR, and my @twhite B400.

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Surrey made that style before VDH.

The 400 style works nicely for me.
    But the brothers bristles is also user freindly. I like the weight and height.

RyX and Carbide Mike like this.