Favorite Handle Profile

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by RyX, Dec 30, 2016.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

In my thrift & antique store shopping I see what I assumed were old VDH handles. Next time I'll pay more attention because they may be the vintage original rather than the recent copy.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Blackthorn or Hawthorn burl handles would probably work well for shave brush material.

Demidog, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  3. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

I enjoy a variety of shapes, but this style is quite ergonomic. :)

[​IMG]

Sparrow, mrchick, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

It is very much like the Barber's brush shape. The added curves make the upper shape quite stylish. I would guess a Wolf's Whiskers but I can't tell if it's wood or translucent composite. It's a beaut!

5. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

For me, the standard Maggard handle is the epitome of perfection. It has the perfect shape and weight, and it also has the added bonus of fitting perfectly in my razor stand. With my other brushes, I have to hang them by the base of the knot and that means that the handle sticks up quite far and larger knots will get compressed by the prongs.

As much as I love the Maggard handle, I strongly dislike the knot so I don't plan on keeping it around much longer. I wanted to remove the knot and replace it with a Whipped Dog synthetic or a Tuxedo, but I figured it wasn't worth the effort. Larry at WD offers goblet handles that are somewhat similar to the Maggard handle, but I really want it in butterscotch. I emailed him to ask if he would ever offer that style in butterscotch but it's not going to happen, so I use the standard WD handle for now. I just really miss using the goblet handle. It's so comfortable and practical.

[​IMG]

mrchick, Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sounds like you have a project to do. I've only removed & set one knot. Not a major issue, but it does take a little time. Great rewards using a brush I "made" myself.

Carbide Mike and Demidog like this.
  7. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Very nice handle !

RyX and Demidog like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My favorite handle from an ergonomic perspective is Simpson Polo 8. I like a big handle.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Looks like the Polo handle comes in different heights, same base size. A range of choice in one profile. Nice!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Nice looking brush! Doug Korn D7?

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.