Favorite slant razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LKLive13, Jun 3, 2017.

1. LKLive13

LKLive13 Well-Known Member

As some of you may know I had my first slant razor shave with the Phoenix Bakelite slant. While it was a great shave it seemed there was a bit of resistance of the Bakelite against the skin. With that said, what is your favorite slant head razor? I would like to buy one of the metal types but would like opinions. Thanks!

Jorvaljr and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have 2 favorite slants.
    1. RazoRock Wunderbar
    2. iKon Shavecraft 102

twhite likes this.
  3. RazorMackham

RazorMackham Member

I think the Maggard Slant head is a great value @$20. Only issue is needing to take a few seconds to align the blade sometimes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The only DE razor I've owned, sold, and purchased again: Merkur 39c Slant bar

bdalemauger, Tdmsu and mrchick like this.
  5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My favorite slants are:
    Merkur 39c Vorschlaghammer
    Maggard's Slant
    Merkur 37c

I prefer hefty razors, so the hammer is my fave.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I piffed my 37C. Now my favorite is the PAA Bakelite slant.
    paa slant04.jpg

7. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I have PAA Bakelite, iKon #102 and iKon X3. I have had Merkur 37C, but sold it.

Of these I consider #102 and X3 to be the best ones.

#102 shaves slightly closer, but got a very tiny gap, so it would clog with bigger growth. This one will align the blade automatically.
    X3 is one of the mildest razors I have. Still it got a huge gap and will mow down even some bigger growth. This one requires manual blade alignment.

PAA Bakelite slant is an OK razor, but I find it less good than both #102 and X3.

Merkur 37C was for me a terrible razor, ymmv.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  8. Kondor

Kondor Member

I own the ATT S1 & S2, the Phoenix and the Fine, the Merkur 37c and the iKon B1 Slant.
    For my skin and face, to make the story short:
    - ATT S2 is perfect for 36/48 hours beard, too aggressive for daily use
    - ATT S1 is perfect for daily use but a bit less efficient than S2 (but you can compensate with good technique)
    - Phoenix Bakelite is too aggressive for daily use but less dangerous than Fine slant
    - Fine slant: efficient but dangerous due to its high blade gap. You MUST have good tecnique. Not for rookies.
    - Merkur 37c: efficient. With good technique and right blade can be used daily.
    - iKon B1: a killing machine. Really smooth over the skin (with the right soap) thanks to B1/DLC coating and really efficient. Can be too aggressive for daily use, you REALLY need a very good technique

For a daily use I would suggest the ATT S1. In the USA you can also send it back. If you want it more aggressive, use an heavy handle.

I would like to buy the ATT Calypso, when Stan will manufacture them and they will be available in Europe.

9. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I've owned a couple of slants. Sold or piffed them. I don't see any benefit from their geometry that I can't duplicate from holding a regular safety razor on a bias.

10. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I have only used and owned one slant razor. That would be the Razorock German 37. I find it does a fine job.

11. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have two, but they shave quite similar.
    Merkur 39c
    Razorock German 37

My favorite of the two is the mekur. But only because it was a gift from my wife.

Tdmsu and Zykris like this.
  12. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

What do you think about a slightly sharper blade in that razor? In regular geometry DE razors, Astra greens do okay for me, but Feathers are too harsh. But in the Kraken 248 (aggressive slant razor, 3d printed in surgical nylon) I have to use a Feather otherwise I get a bit of uncomfortable tug. Just an idea, but I hope it's useful.

13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

RazoRock German 37

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Tiredricefarmer and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  14. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this.

I have never owned or used a slant razor, but regularly use a "slanted" stroke with very good results.
    I have always wondered if that is essentially the same thing that a slant razor provides.

Though it seems like it may be, guess I will not know until I use a slant to compare.

Maybe someday. Thanks

15. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I only have two and they are both awesome. The Ikon is slightly smoother.

Ikon 102
    Merkur 39c "Sledgehammer"

Herm

Tdmsu and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The 'gillette slide' technique is a reproduction of a slant razor's vertical stroke.
    [​IMG]
    You can also use a 'Tilt technique,' where you hold the razor crooked and shave vertically. Click on the link below for the image:
    https://goo.gl/images/EMwzUr

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    RaZorBurn123 and EnglishChannel like this.
  17. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to try a slant.
    Don't know which one to get.
    Seeing a lot of great choices in this thread. Leaning towards the razorock German 37 slant. ??!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiredricefarmer and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

+1

19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The Ikon X3 is one of my favorite razors to use. Feels so mild, yet cuts very efficiently.

20. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

PLANofMAN thanks for the great info. I didn't know that technique had a name and basis in shave trade of the good ole days. Makes sense though.

Not sure where I acquired the skill, but that brochure on the Gillette Slide describes it precisely.

PLANofMAN and Linuxguile like this.