Favorite Straight

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by bscarpenter, Dec 28, 2016.

1. bscarpenter

bscarpenter Well-Known Member

What is your favorite straight & why?

Spyder, Joe Ingal, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The next one. Grin.

It's hard to pick a favorite. I have a small Genco that is nimble and easy to use. I have a large Filly that is Spanish artwork. I have a couple of modern ones that are different, and I have my Great, Great Grandfather's razor.

Features I like are an muted square tip, to trim around my facial hair without slicing my face to ribbons, jumps for grip are nice, and scales that aren't too bulky for the blade.

Spyder, Joe Ingal, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

image.jpeg
    This is the George Wolstenholm and Sons IXL I bought from Kevin. (His Pic) He did a great restoration on it and it shaves like a dream, but I like it mostly due to the age of it. It's fun to think about the history this razor has seen.

Spyder, Joe Ingal, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Tough to choose only one, but for sentimental reasons, I have to go with this Pipe razor from George Wostenholm & Sons.
    Nothing too fancy about it — the razor does have custom black horn scales with white feathering—a more modern look than most my other scale designs, which tend to be more 'traditional.'
    It's far from being my most expensive razor in my lot ($35 from an antique store in Nevada City; purchased by my wife from my birthday), but I do love the blade shape, the width (7/8"), the overall feel of the blade and scales in my hand, —plus the killer smooth edge it takes off the hones. I have other razors that rival this one for overall quality shaves, but since this was a gift from my sweetheart, it moves to the top of the list.
    :love055:

[​IMG]

In the condition I received it back in March of 2014:
    [​IMG]

Spyder, Joe Ingal, Jim99 and 8 others like this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

That is like asking which of your children your love the most.... wait.... I don't have any kids.

The answer is always changing but as of last week, a Mastro Livi I bought.... but I surprise from my woman showed up this week so it may change.
    IMG_2993.jpg IMG_9594.jpg

Spyder, Joe Ingal, Jim99 and 7 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

But then these razors also deliver great shaves and look cool too
    Koraat, Dovos and PRCs

IMG_2921.jpg IMG_3180.jpg IMG_3032.jpg IMG_2987.jpg IMG_2910.jpg

Spyder, Joe Ingal, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Favoured SR at the Moment is Probably My Wester Bros Solingen Full Hollow 5/8th..Its Light, Balanced & Nimble & the Factory Grind is Par Excellence..The Grind is as Thin as an Extra Full Hollow & Yeah its Beautiful..A Very Petite..Yet..Its a Well Constructed SR..Its a Top Class Shaver..;)

Billy..:chores016:

Spyder, Joe Ingal, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Nice picture of you taking a picture :D Nice razor too, Billie:)

9. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

U.S made from New York, Little Wally, 11/16 square point.

Karl G, Joe Ingal, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's had to choose. It's like asking which is you favorite child. But, I would have to say, I don't know, yet. I 've only been at this for around 5 months, and have many that are excellent shavers. I do favor the ones that have looked beyond salvageable, but have turned out to be excellent razors, bot shavewise and looks.

11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Add me to the list of people that can't decide. I have several nice ones. I'm sure one will rise to the top over time. It took over a year to find my favorite brush.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I think I would have a tough time picking just one. I definitely have my preferred straight razors, but a (just one) favorite?

Hmm...

13. 6cuda6

6cuda6 Member

I could choose either....to many that i purchased because i liked them....lol.

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've always been a fan of the Wade & Butcher "You lather well, I'll shave well" etched razors.

It appeals to my sense of whimsy.

15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

It is always hard to pick a favourite. Having said that, the Griffon Carbo Magnetic is a SR that I always enjoy. Easy to hone and it keeps a great edge. These SRs were marketed around 1910 when advertising laws were somewhat more lenient. Personally, I find the extra boost of magnetism helps to keep my superpowers finely tuned!
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

17. Joe Ingal

Joe Ingal Member

I'm new to SE shaving so I haven't come across a vintage SE I am willing to buy, but I do love my new Dovo #41 full hollow 5/8". I like the balance, blade forgiveness, ease of sharpening, weight and overall feel of the razor. As a bonus, the stainless steel does not pit like my Dovo 1/2 half hollow, carbon steel razor.

18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Fixed! ;)