Favorite tallow soap.

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by old-school shaver, May 11, 2016.

1. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

Mine is Lea out of Spain you can find it on amazon, I am fair skinned...Lea left my face very smooth and moisturized no need for after shave balm.

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I've often wondered about LEA

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Vintage AOS
    Vintage Williams
    Tabac
    Czech & Speake
    Mystic Water
    Mike's
    MWF

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Depends on where you live ... in Europe, the obvious choice is the Palmolive stick, because you can get it from the supermarket. You can get Tabac from the regular shops as well.

In the USA, it makes sense to buy American soaps, because you probably have to order online anyway (correct?).

In other regions, I have no idea what's available, but my best guess would be Tabac. Very good soap too, btw, as long as you remember that it's thirsty.

5. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure a lack of tallow is a deal breaker for me. With the exception of the Stirling offerings mentioned, all of the above are good choices. Fine's new soap has proved to be a favorite of mine in the last few weeks.

6. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

I don't like stirling soaps at all, tho I won't bash anyone who does. IMHO Razorock tallow soaps like xxx is the finest shaving soap currently available, and it's cheaper than stirling. Razorock is the best place to start imho.

Keithmax, Waate and old-school shaver like this.
  7. JazzySilverTip

JazzySilverTip New Member

I love Tiki tallow soaps. Easy to lather and great post feel. Only issue I have with tallow soaps is they tend to go rancid (which you wouldn't expect), but it takes a while.

8. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Tabac
    Arko

9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I forgot to mention Tabac in my initial post....:o
    An excellent performing tallow soap, but I simply can't abide the scent. It's fallen out of the soap rotation—and probably the reason I forgot to mention it.
    Unscented Tabac would be ideal...for me. Others do enjoy both the performance and scent.

10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

I live in the UK & Sensitive to Strong Scents so I use European Traditional Tallow Soaps..:angelic007:

Valobra
    Vitos
    Monsavon Bol
    Haslinger
    DR Harris Arlington

Billy..:chores016:

old-school shaver and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Top on my list: Barrister & Mann.
    Incredible soaps, you'll just have to find a scent that works for you ;) I love stuff like Cheshire and Fireside, you might hate it...

Close runner-ups: Jeeves of Hudson Street "Eucalyptus & Spearmint", Razorock "Mudder Focker"

Non-Artisan: Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, D.R. Harris Sandalwood

12. korbz

korbz Active Member

Stirling/B&M/Shaver Heaven/MWF to name but a few. Stirling is great and very slick. B&M and Shaver Heaven only slightly less slick, but little better for cushion. They each do scents very differently as well. MWF is just a great all round performing soap, and the benchmark for soaps I keep.

13. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I loved Valobra unscented (stick, ran out). Tabac may have performed better but I got sick of the scent. I really gotta try Stirling...

old-school shaver likes this.
  14. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Just went on Stirling site... Not that I want to branch off this thread, but how can they sell a Stainless razor for less than $20?

15. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Only the handles are stainless steel, the heads are standard zamac. And from my understanding the head is the more diffcult (and the more expensive) part to make from steel. Still a good price though ;)

Metro likes this.
  16. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Equal No 1: Mike's and Mystic Water
    No 3: Stirling

17. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

Best tallow shaving soap?

SO many good choices, more than a few have already been mentioned in this thread. One name I would acknowledge as a contender for "Best" is Cold River Soap Works. I'd also give a shout for WSP Formula T soaps.

Don't forget Haslinger!

Robyflexx and old-school shaver like this.
  18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Tabac, Stirling, Arko, Jeeves of Hudson street. In that order.

Waate and old-school shaver like this.
  19. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Chiseled Face has some great soap, easy to lather and slick, performs well. I'm also digging the Stirling. Cella is another favorite of mine and I do love Tabac!

20. realtore!!!

realtore!!! Active Member

I'm now a happy user of "Fine" shaving soap. It's great stuff, very much like tabac in function!

ninjack and old-school shaver like this.