Favorite Vegetable Based Soaps?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by DesertTime, Aug 18, 2017.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Vonnegut fan...

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Absolutely. :cool:

DesertTime likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Soap Commander
    Caties Bubble
    TSD Shop

jtspartan and DesertTime like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    While 99% of my soaps are tallow-based, I do enjoy MdC, Crowne & Crane and Proraso Green (cream).

jtspartan and DesertTime like this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I will add LASS, Los Angeles Shaving Soap. It is a great MdC clone. I just ordered my 4th jar of Woody Lavender. I also really like the WSP Rustic Shaving Soap. Mahogany is one of my favorite all time scents.

Puma, DesertTime and jtspartan like this.
  6. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Another vote for Soap Commander. I'd also add Palmolive Menthol to the list.

DesertTime and Kilgore Trout like this.
  7. DesertTime

:happy096:

Kilgore Trout likes this.
  8. DesertTime

I've tried a couple of the recommended soaps, plus I had on hand a couple already. Of all the ones I've used, Soap Commander stands out as the best (for me), even above Saponificio Varesino. So it now tops my list, too. Thanks for the tip.

A small caveat, I have extremely hard water so my results are likely different than most folks (17 gpg where anything above 10.57 is "Very Hard").

Thanks all for your input.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Soap Commander is probably my favorite. Stubble Trubble is another. Both are just plain Good Soap.

DesertTime likes this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Route 66 and Stubble Trubble both made me realize that tallow soaps were not necessarily superior to vegetable based soaps. Both are top notch. I also like WSP Rustic soaps.

Puma, PickledNorthern and DesertTime like this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I'm not an expert at commercially available soaps, but I do know my ingredients. I have gotten great results from soaps containing shea butter.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes you have! :bounce015:

Sara-s likes this.
  13. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Just got some for the first time. Excellent performance. Just like tallow. I don't care for the Bay scent unfortunately.

SV, Caties, Pre De Proveance are also great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

entropy1049 likes this.
  14. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Stick with the Bay, it may grow on you, I found I like it more than I used to.

My only criticism with the SS's that I've tried is that the scents took a while for me to come around to. I also have the Sandalwood & Myrrh and the Lavender & Peppermint. I enjoy them all now much more than I did on the first outing with them.

15. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I just went and purchased the sample pack...I'll try them all.

I know what you mean about sticking with it..I am just not a fan of clove. It's light, I will probably get used to it. The peformance is stellar!!!

entropy1049 likes this.
  16. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Let me know any of the other scents that you like. I'll put some in my basket ;)

17. PickledNorthern

I never know where to put soaps like Route 66 when people ask. Where does Lanolin fall into play?

It isn't like I care, I am currently dripping fat from grilled chicken skin all over my I-pad (), I just don't know where it all fits.

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I guess it depends on why you are looking for vegetable based soaps. If the reason is for an ethical treatment of animals standpoint, then Route 66 doesn't fit to well with milk protien and Lanolin.

Since, after reading your response, I immediately wished I was at your house enjoying some grilled chicken so juicy it was dripping on your iPad (and better yet that part didn't seem to you bother in the least), you can probably guess that do not necessarily object to using animal products. I consider any soap that isn't tallow based to be vegetable based.

19. DesertTime

To a vegan, which I am not as I eat dairy products, it would be a no-no. Pretty much anything that comes from an animal would be taboo, even if the animal is not slaughtered in the process, because it involves the exploitation of animals. So eggs and dairy are out for eating and clothing made from wool or silk (lanolin would fall here) would be out for many vegans, though probably not all.

20. PickledNorthern

Actually the chicken was a leftover snack while my wife cooked burgers.

[​IMG]