Feather All Stainless and Blade Longevity

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by glassmtn, Oct 18, 2010.

1. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

I have had the Feather All Stainless razor since July, and I have an interesting observation about blade longevity in this razor. I consistently get 1 or 2 more shaves from each blade when using them in the Feather AS. Has anyone else observed this with their Feather AS? I am at a loss to understand why this is happening.

eric.

2. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I don't have one. I would guess that it was specially designed to be used with Feather Razor Blades. ;)

3. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

I have used a number of different brands of blades, including Feathers, and they all seem to be giving me 1 or 2 more shaves than with other razors. I can't understand it, but it seems real to me.

eric.

4. bbarton713

bbarton713 Member

I do three shaves and pitch the blade. I meant get more and mean to try for more but I have so many blades that I'm always eager to try the next one. :D

5. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

I usually do the same with my other razors, but with the Feather I get 4 or 5 shaves with them. I have used Feather blades as well as others. Feather blades only get me 3 shaves with other razors, but this morning I got my 5th shave from a Feather blade in the Feather AS razor.

eric.

6. geogaga

geogaga Member

I can't say for Feather AS razor since I don't have one, but I have similar experience with black-handled '78 SuperSpeed. I bought it new (unsealed) thus there were two original Gillette Chrome Platinum blades. I used one blade in the SuperSpeed, but another in my Merkur 34C. The first gave me four shaves and didn't show a sign of dullness, but in 34C it performed just couple of shaves.

I think this is just an impression from the blade that razor makes. SuperSpeed has very narrow gap and blade exposure, when Merkur 34C is opposite.

7. geogaga

geogaga Member

And, yes... there is no way we can measure sharpness. This is personal feeling :)

8. glassmtn

glassmtn Member

Perhaps it is that the Feather AS is a relatively mild/smooth razor. All of the other razors I have are more aggressive than the Feather.

eric.

9. RazoRock

RazoRock New Member

Hi Eric,

This would be my guess as well. I find blades last a lot longer in the Feather Popular razor as well. I think the milder blade exposure gives the blades a longer lifespan, just speculating though.