Feather AS-D1 Opinions

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Neolithium, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Heya All,
    So my RAD has been kicking in lately, and I've been hunting through the gold versions of both Merkur and Edwin Jagger to see if I may want to get one of those - however considering what I do for a living I don't want to be having that plating subjected to the environment I usually put my razors in. So I came up with the ultra-expensive idea of possibly getting a Feather AS-D1.

I do realize that the angle required is different than most razors but barring that one tidbit I had a couple of quick questions in regards to it, since I'll be deciding and pulling the trigger in the next couple of weeks.

1 - Most if not all reviews basically say if you don't use Feather blades, you're hooped for getting a good shave. Has anyone tried them with Personnas, Gillettes or Voskhods successfully?

2 - WAY too cheap to go for the TAS-DS so does the iKon stand work well for this handle?

Thanks for any input, I'd love to just find this out all myself but it's a wee bit expensive for a purchase on the fly ;)

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Well Justin..IMO the Feather ss is pricey but I think it's really the only genuine value in the high end of the razor market today. It's on my possibles to get later on list. Never heard anything negative about their QC etc and probably never will. Ikon's banned everywhere and the Pills I don't think is really anywhere near up to it's price tag and has had it's share of QC issues. The Weber looks promising at 70 bucks, but as the price goes up..and it will..I might get a bit antsy there. Then there's all that Zamac. For 40 bucks with a lifetime warranty it's probably worth the effort..but for the Muhle, EJ, Merker etc. high end, I think personally they should all keep their Zamac to themselves. You need to look at the size and weight of the Feather..90 grams 3.5 inch handle and see if that's to your liking. As for the blades the Feather head is basically a Tech with a little attitude so the razor can work with any blade..myself I think I'd like to try it with the Derby's..but that's me. You can look at all the opinions but in the end it will be your decision and you'll need to decide if you want to spend that much on a shaver..anyways those are my 2 cents and whatever you decide best of luck.. and IB has them I believe...

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    For the same price you could get your favorite razor triple plated with anything you wanted. The plating will wear off eventually, so your great grandkids will have to send it back in for re-plating.

There is also a member here who "plates" razors with that ultra durable self lubricating coating/paint they put on pistol slides. If I were you (being in the military and all) that's the route I would take.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/got-poor-tired-razors-i-need-help-with-project.23134/
    here is the relevant thread.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Theoretically yes, but 3 layers of plating would still equal to about 1.5 microns of whatever finish I choose - and in the end it's still plating over Zamak compared to solid pieces of stainless steel. Most of the reviews I've read put the weight and grip into something I'd really appreciate; sure the $200 is expensive, but I've spent that much on several straight razors already so factoring in the life expectancy of 1 AS-D1 makes it pretty worthwhile assuming I don't go crazy and get 20+ more razors when I'm trying to scale down significantly.

DLP likes this.
  5. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm a big Weber fan. I haven't heard anyone having complaints or a hard time with angle with it. It works well with most any blade. I prefer Astra SP. The Weber cost $70 now as opposed to $175 for the Feather. Some say the Feather is too mild a shave. I don't know. I've never tried it. It certainly looks good, but so does the Tradere and it is really hit or miss, if it would work for you. So I'm suggesting a Weber instead. I know the Feather is well made and looks good. The Weber is also well made, SS and the DLC or ARC head coatings are going to last a long long time.

DLP likes this.
  6. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Just to note that Weber is currently out of stock on the ARC razors but do have the DLC in stock. The ARC is expected back in stock mid July.

I have a DLC and it is a great razor. the bulldog handle is comfortable in the hand and the head provides a close comfortable shave IMHO. of course in the end you have to select what you believe will provide you with the most satisfaction.

I recall seeing somewhere that iKon is looking at coming out with a glossy DLC razor model. don't know when our how much.

Good luck with what ever you choose.