feather AS-D1 yet again

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fatkid, Jan 25, 2012.

1. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

OK so as some of you my recall the other week I put my feather AS up forsake on the bay and it sold in an hour. Well the guy backed out of the deal. So I put it back on and after a week nothing. So I keep it and use it.
    I can't seem to get a close gave out of it. No matter what blade or soap I use. I have used a Gillette fatboy or super speed with fantastic results. Usually 1 pass for a DFS. But withe the AS its 2 to 3 passes atleast. Guys using a feather AS-D1 please chime ibehere and give me some pointers. I've considered bringing it to work and re-machining the safety bar down to get some aggression out of it. I love the feel of it and the wait of it I just wish it had the aggressiveness of a super speed.
    any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

2. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Aggressiveness of a Superspeed? Maybe it's my beard, but the Superspeed was by far the least aggressive razor I have use so far.. Actually PIF'd mine to a newbie because it was too mild.

I'll trade you my Fatboy for the Feather..

3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I've never used one, but here are my thoughts. You might have your angle slightly off. Use short strokes and try and maintain your angle. Also, maybe the blade you are using doesn't agree with you and the razor. Try a different blade or two in it. The other thing I would do is use it and nothing else for a couple weeks. If you start getting shaves you like, then keep it. If not then it might be time to let it go. Not all razors are for everyone.

4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

I know with the feathers you need to hold them at a 45 degree angle I believe. I font have one but have always wanted one if the new ones. I dint know if you have done that it not. Good luck with it!

5. fatkid

fatkid Well-Known Member

I've used several blades and the angle is correct. The problem is when I get to the thicker stuff like my jaw line it just skips right over it. I've had better luck using shark super chrome in it, worse luck with feathers( odd huh?). I've used short strokes long strokes. I've even tried a roll stroke with it which got good results but my hand would go to sleep. I really don't want to give up on it cause it is a cool razor and I love the weight of it but if I can't get a good shave I don't want to fight it.

alpla444 likes this.