Feather blades, too sharp?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by alphage, Apr 26, 2008.

1. alphage

alphage Member

I got the idea that veteran shavers often get cut by Feather razor blades even on their second shave with that blade. So that the following procedure is necessary.

I was reading the "other forum" and picked up on this. I can't remember it being talked about here, though. Essentially, I run my Feather blade through a cork 5 times lengthwise on each side. The resulting shaves are so smooth, you get a "day 3" smooth and comfortable shave on the first day of a Feather. The roughness is honed out. And I may add I really don't see any longevity decrease, either. It has saved my face, because the first day of a Feather would sometimes set the rest of the week off on a bad note. Give it a try, it may work for you.

Of course I'm copying the above.

2. AFG

AFG New Member

I tried the Feather for the first time this week. I had read all the horror stories about how sharp it was and not for the faint of heart. I found no roughness with the blade and after 4 shaves with it, no blood loss and the smoothest shave I have had with any blade. I think I can probably get at least one more shave out the blade, maybe two. I have no opinion on corking other than to say I would not do it unless I was having trouble with the blade. If the other blades in my pack work as well as this one has, I will be parting with the Derby and using the Feather as my daily blade. I could get 4 shaves out of a Derby and get a good shave but it took an extra pass and some touch up to get the same results I am seeing with the Feather.

3. uk_HBer

uk_HBer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I started out 'corking' the Feather, but now I just go and shave with it as is.
    I love 'em.......bbs everytime, plus I personally find them more forgiving than Swedes..........go figure.
    Give them a try...........cork one to start with, you may find, like I did, that they agree with you.

4. The razor will affect the blade as well. I have a couple razors that don't play well with the feather and others that do.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

If feathers are too sharp for you use another blade there are plenty out there to choose from. Corking does nothing but dull the edge of the blade by removing the coating that is there to protect you and the blade. I don't know about you but I would not shave with a dull blade. This all came about because shavers wanted to say they shave with feathers, the sharpest blade, but in reality it was too sharp for them. Find a blade that works for you and gives you the smoothest shave with out irritation.

Raf

6. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

For me, the Feather blades are a big NO-NO. Even though they are among the best blades for quality and performance, I cannot use them without getting severely cut. They can be potentially hazardous to the health. :scared007:scared007

7. Hi there alphage,
    If I may, let me offer some insight into the 'corking' issue. I was around when a lot of it went down, and it was pretty surprising what came to the surface during those threads.
    As far as the first shave or two with those blades sometimes being a rough road: That was something not widely known, or certainly not talked about, and the corking technique was used to counteract the problem. As you read in those threads, it DID help many members shaves. Weirdest thing, and you can bet there were a LOT of skeptics.
    Anyway, here's the resulting reason why the corking technique can be so successful. See how this sounds. Keep in mind that not all feather blades have this problem, and the first shave syndrome doesn't happen with every blade.
    Sometimes the blade actually can be TOO sharp, which results in difficulty in getting the blade to glide properly. That super sharp edge has to be dulled a tiny bit to make it perform most effectively. Hows that? Sound good?
    Here, try this one: The reason those feathers have the problem is because of the tiny micro serrations left on the blade after factory grinding. It can take a shave or two to smooth those down. How's that one sound? Fairly believable? Hehe, I have one more that you might like also.
    Third reason for the problem in that darned coating the blade has that needs to sometimes be completely removed before it shaves properly. Yep, although you certainly can't see it, sometimes that coating isn't right when leaving the factory.
    There now..........those were the three most popular ideas regarding why corking is needed. They all have their proponents, and each can defend their explanation very well. Yeah, it can be confusing.
    However, there's another school of thought....backed up with excellent photos and a great review. Over at SMF, a member named Squire posted a thread titled 'Feather Blade Review'. This was dated April 24th, so it's easy to find. Sadly, I'm unable to post any link to it, but maybe some other member might try. Very interesting results, especially as far as the blade grind goes.
    Anyway, I just wanted to mention some previous thoughts by others on the whole corking thing, and it was probably more confusing than helpful......heh.
    Martin

8. magic

magic New Member

If all they made were Feathers I would be happy. The sharper the better less chance of an accident. The mistake most people make is they Press To Hard. Let the blade do the work & relax. But you are still worried go to the second best & cheaper Polsilver.

9. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I feel that if you have to do anything more to a blade than unwrap it and put it in your razor, you should be using a different blade.

10. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Solid thinking there.. :D

11. JayKay

:D Tryphon sells 32 different DE blades. I think anybody can find something that works from that list.

12. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

I like the feather in a gilette superspeed. Not dangerous at all, unlike in my Merkur HD.

13. dridiot

dridiot Member

A tad too sharp for me, gives me nicks at times.

-Jason

14. bob815

bob815 New Member

Is it the blade or the razor?

From my experience shaving performance not only depends on the blade but which razor is being used. I've has success with a lot of different blades, only to change razors and have to re-narrow blade choice. :sick007 So from my experience, one blade isn't the answer for all. One thing in common that stands out is longevity of the blade can be extended with good results. After shaving dry off the blade.:D Theory is it reduces the micro rust spots. :rolleyes: I've actually extended the life of some blades to 4 - 5 weeks with daily shaves. :ashamed001 Un-heard of for any blade with non-drying storage. Blade brand may make a difference in longevity results, but in any case drying will extend the life for all blades and disposables too. At lease that is my experience. Try it, post your results..

Bob815

15. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Bob815!

Don't miss the Newbie Give-Away! :happy088

16. JayKay

I rinse my razor under very hot water and than shake it dry when I'm done. I usually go for 3-5 shaves per blade and I have a tough blade. I went 7 days on a wilkinson once but tore my self up the second it got dull.

17. Will

Will Nevermind

+1

I would like to add just because people say Feathers are the "sharpest" dose not mean they are the best.

18. Mr. Tadashi

Mr. Tadashi Member

Indeed. For each person what blade is considered the best will vary from person to person. Personally the feather is my current favorite but, I am looking for ones that perform as well for me but cost much less.

19. VetsJetsnGuns

VetsJetsnGuns Need love... will pay.

the more expereince I get, the less I bleed with feathers. In a superspeed, no blood at all. In the Merkur Barberpole slant, maybe one nick.

I attribute this to two things:
    1.) more experience
    2.) better/more thorough prep

got a new gilette slant adjustable- thing I'll test drive a feather in that tonight

20. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

I totally agree, I like feathers