Feather blades... What am I getting myself in to?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by leigh44, Aug 26, 2014.

1. leigh44

leigh44 Member

I've now tried the dorco blades which worked quite well for me, the astras which didn't go so well and the bics which were too tuggy and left my face feeling very 'stubbley' and I'm going to try the feathers soon but before I do is there anything I need to keep in mind as I'm going about my routine so I don't decapitate myself? I hear so many mixed things about these blades, I just want to get a really nice clean shave from them. I should also mention that I have a micro touch one razor which as far as I know has alower level of blade exposure. WWould this make a difference?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

They are just another blade. I found them to be very sharp (no tugging at all and mowed my beard down), but harsh. I always had some razor burn. I will revisit them some day. Good prep, good technique, no pressure and shave away. They could be the one for you. If we don't hear back from you, I'll assume it didn't go well. Please modify your will so that in the event of decapitation, you PIF all your shaving goods to a Den member ;)

3. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I agree with Vedder, they are just another blade.
    Also like Vedder, they seem rough to me.
    I guess I could get by with them if they were the only blade I had,
    but I'm glad they aren't.
    Best of luck with the Feathers!

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup, just another blade. It may work for you, it may not.
    Pay no attention to what others say about how good or bad it is. Only your face will give you the truth.

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I agree (Feather) just another blade. In my case ok sharpness, but with a very harsh feel, followed by irritation. While absolutely only "YOUR" face can tell "YOU" which blade is "BEST" for your face.. Getting reviews from other shavers like this can help guide you in the direction of your best blade/blades. :happy088:

If you don't mind paying premium prices for blades you may want to give PolSilver Super Iridiums a shot. I found them every bit as sharp as Feathers, but without the harshness and irritation...:)

6. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Like everyone has said only your face can tell you.
    having said that I can tell you my experiance with these blades just in case you get the same problem.

When i first used these blades i really disliked them, i would get one good shave and then on the second shave i would get the worst razor burn. Both my cheeks would be red and sore all over. So after this happened twice i decided to steer clear of Feather blades.

A few months later when my technique was better i decided to try again and now i get some excellent shaves with them, with no irritation. I pair them with an R41 razor, which is an agressive one and get a really close, great feeling shave. In fact whilst writing this i have just decided that the next razor in my rotation will be my R41 paired with a feather blade.:)

Hopefully you wont run into the same problem I did, and will be able to enjoy this blade from the first time you use it. Just be mindful of your technique, that goes for all blades, but especially with this one. Do that and you should get some great shaves.
    To me, and this is just my opinion, it is different to any other blade i have tried, which is why I enjoy using them so much.

7. amazingray

amazingray New Member

Unfortunately, blades have to be tried to see if they work for your skin type. I found much success with the Astra Superior Premium Platinum Double Edge Safety Razor Blades.

8. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Perfect example of YMMV. OP mentions three brands he has used and with the exception of the BIC, he was on the opposite side of the spectrum from my preferences. I think Astras are great. In nit weird?

I personally find that the Feathers are just OK. Every time I use one I ask myself what all the talk is about.

Of course, I've been wrong before...

J_Man likes this.
  9. I like Feather Blades - but I think the shave is contingent on the Blade and Razor combo you use - you have to find the sweet spot.

ObiDon and Derhey like this.
  10. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

since some of you guys don't seem to be eating up the feather hype, do you think they're worth the price? i'd say they're pretty expensive.

J_Man likes this.
  11. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Have you tried a "razor blade sample pack" from either Amazon or eBay? Just a nice way to find the blade that best fits you. I too am excited to try Feather though.

12. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

I've tried them a while ago, just wondering if you guys think they're worth the price.

13. I'd say Yes they are worth the price if you look how much you'd pay on cartridge replacements. Order them on Amazon - but before you do check and see where they ship from - most of them ship from Thailand and take a little longer to get. I ordered mine from a seller in NY and got them quicker.

J.F. Martin and ObiDon like this.
  14. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I have only been DE shaving since May, and started out with a Merkur 34c HD which is a mild razor. I went through a number of different blades and was scared off the Feathers for awhile. With my technique improved I put a feather in my Merkur an with a very light touch was able to get my best ever shave. I was slow and carefull, and it worked great for me. I have a light beard and sensitive skin, so the mild razor sharp blade combo worked great for me. I just got 100 from Amazon and it is the only blade I use. My current daily razor is a Gillette Fat Boy set on 6, but I still like the Merkur. Remember YMMV:eatdrink047:

Richard Dunbar likes this.
  15. lilbones99

lilbones99 Member

Its such a YMMV thing, I personally don't think they're worth the price, for ME. But if you get consistent great shaves with them, then by all means! Quite frankly, if you only get great shaves with 5 blade carts, then I'd say they would be worth the price. But if you get consistent great shaves with an inexpensive blade such as Astra or Derby, then there may be no need for the added expense.

BigMark likes this.
  16. R-C

R-C Member

I like the feather blades. As someone mentioned though, good prep, a right razor combo and technique, and focus will get you through most things. My best advice will be, try them out and see what you think. Then try them again. Buy them from try a blade or a sample pack and then, you haven't spent $X for a 100 you don't love.

17. Thumbs up on a sample pack - it's the best way to go to try different blade and razor combos.

18. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Tryablade.com.

Lots of choices and depending on where you are in CONUS, you'll have them in a couple of days. I have a few "go to" brands of blades but I still sample for variety. I have found that the majority of blades available work for me and that there are a few that are simply a no-no under any circumstance.

BigMark likes this.
  19. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

You can cut yourself as easily with a dull Dorco as you can with a brand new Feather stainless. ALL DE razor blades are sharp—to the degree they can inflict injury. How smooth they feel on your face and how easily they can comfortably shave through your lathered-up whiskers is entirely dependent on your subjective experience in using them. The right blade for your skin type, beard growth and skin sensitivity can make a difference, but in my opinion, the proper technique is often just as important as the right blade.

dscaver, R-C, Slow Joe and 1 other person like this.
  20. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Can you trust the Feather blades you see on eBay (listed as coming from Thailand)? Or are they fakes? Should I buy the ones listed there that are under $1.00 for 10?