Feather Blades?????????????????`

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by FanofAceVentura, Oct 16, 2014.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

My last Astra lasted 7 3-pass shaves. I don't recon they are made of inferior steel.

2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Hey, that's great! If they last that long for you I envy you! If I try a third shave its a disaster...

tuxxdk likes this.
  3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

We all wanna try and avoid disaster :)

4. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I really enjoy using Feathers in my mule r41 2013 version. Ok with other razors but nothing special. The combination of the r41 and a feather blade is different to anything else I shave with. Not necessarily better but I like to have a variety of different types of shaves.

5. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I honestly do not find feathers much sharper than most other blades I've used. I regularly use Astra SP and I find then very efficient for the price. Feathers are overpriced for me, a good blade though.

Tdmsu likes this.
  6. ZinZan

ZinZan Member

My favourite blades sharper, smoother and last longer for me

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Feathers are just another blade in the blade box.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

It's so funny how everyone's face is so different and how certain blades like Feathers elicit such strong opinions. I dislike Feathers alot, but love PolSilver Super Iridiums(except for the cost of course ;)).
    Feathers certainly are sharp as are the SI's, but the Feathers "VERY" harsh on my face for some reason. While SI's are smooth, gentle and will easily last 5+ days, I've never got to test how long a Feather blade will last me, because I've never been able to use one past the first shave. When I think about it, as a rule, I seem to have gotten my BEST shaves from Personna blades(Labs, Reds, Crystals, Q-Balls, etc.) in general. My go to blade is the made in Israel Vikings Sword. Any of the Gillette 7 O'clocks and Astra SP's also work very well for me.
    As geralodgordon said, DON"T under any circumstances be afraid of Feathers, do without a doubt try them, but do respect them. :happy088: Theses observations are why I think a "LARGE" blade sample pack is so helpful/critical for finding the blades or blades that are correct for your face, technique, razor etc. :)
    Also as Sara-s has said buy "SMALL" in the beginning;). I know we're all anxious to buy in bulk when we start out(at least I was), but I also know what it's like to have hundreds of blades you really never use and don't need. :happy097:

Spud and Sara-s like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

:signs011: He said it all.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have many different blades and have found that they all work great but not in all razors. I just had to figure out which razor worked the best with the feathers and which worked with the Ladas etc

Spud and 178-bplatoon like this.
  11. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've thought about trying those. I will now.

The derbys chew my skin up. Burning and redness.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We all like different things and have opinions as such. That's what makes a forum like TSD a valuable asset to us shavers

wristwatchb and 178-bplatoon like this.
  13. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

Yeah. Good idea. The Derbies are garbage for 90% of people. I would go to tryablade.com and get the sampler of all their blades, or something like that. Get some 5 packs of ones that are highly rated.

Spud, theFAT98 and FanofAceVentura like this.
  14. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Might have to do that. I will definitely try the astra.

I do love my feathers though

15. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I tried a Feather in a Tech, and while I had very low irritation like I do with my Cadet OC Astra SP setup, because I still have razor bumps on my face from cartridge shaving, my face got bloodied up and leveled. Yet, with blood, I still had very very low irritation as measured by AS splash sting.