Feather DX Folding OR Feather DX Straight?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Paulie, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

After a few years of traditional shaving with a safety razor, I am now wanting to go the route of the straight razor. I have finally chosen to purchase either the Feather DX folding or the DX straight. Now this is where you straight razor folks come in! I need your advice & guidance as to which one would be best for a beginner like me.

2. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

3. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Feather DX Folding.jpg Feather DX Straight.jpg
    Thanks for the tip Misphit! Now this should make my post "useful".

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Actually for the price of one of the Artist Club DX's you can get the folding and non-folding versions of the Artist Club SS which of course use the same blades.

5. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

I agree Neolithium. I have done some "google research" and from the many posts I've read, the DX seemed to be liked more than the SS for various reasons. The one major reason I found beneficial to me was the DX had a longer handle, weighed a little more (I have large hands), and the "head angle" (lack of proper terms) was more like a traditional straight razor. I will try and find the picture that was posted in another forum, and post it here to show the difference in the "head" of the razors.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  6. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Difference between DX & SS Feather.jpg
    from left to right: DX, SS, CJB

entropy1049 likes this.
  7. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Hi Paulie
    I bought a non folding DX recently, and have so far had one shave massacred my neck with it once. I used to have a Tosuke traditional japanese straight (coolest straight razor ever IMO), but i was hopeless at keeping it sharp. The concept of shavettes didn't really appeal to me before, but these Feathers really got my AD throbbing.
    I bought the DX simply because i liked the look of the stainless steel and the "blade" better than what the SS/CJB had to offer, but i might get the SS later on.
    As for which one being the best for a beginner, i don't think there's that much of a difference. The foldable one requires a slightly different grip and the handle might get in the way until your technique is in place, but i've tried a european style straight/foldable and i don't concider these differences to be something negative. Since the blades are the same, it comes down to which look suits your taste. If we were talking traditional european vs traditional japanese, it would be a different matter.
    A few IMO's:
    I was just as amazed at how petite the DX is as i was when i first held a Tosuke. I don't know why i expected it to be bigger (see pic)...
    I got mine with some professional razorblades which are concidered everyday middle of the tree blades - there's "sharper" ones with more blade exposure (pro super), milder ones with less blade exposure (pro light) and then there's the ones with a guard on them (pro guard) which i have ordered a sample pack of - i butchered my neck in my first shave and i think i'll go with these until i have my neck-technique figured out haha! Kai blades can be used in the Feather, but i know nothing about them.
    I purchased a blade protector for the razor so i don't accidentally scratch the steel. The DX comes with a protective "display" case but it is a bit bulky for my taste.
    If your ultimate plan is getting a straight and not a shavette, which the Feather basically is, skip the Feather and get one of those. To me, a real straight is a bit easyer/milder in use, i'm just not ready for the work it requires. Maybe in 20 years time.

DX.jpg

Paulie likes this.
  8. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

I've owned the DX Japanese style and the SS Western style. The SS folder would be my recommendation.
    The SS has a bit more of a rounded edge at the point where it grasps the blade, as your illustration shows. Makes for a slightly more forgiving shave. These Feathers can be utterly without mercy. I discovered that with a conventional straight, I get a little warning when I'm about to nick myself most times. With the Feather, that bit of flesh is simply hacked away and then you realize you need to find your styptic pencil, or worse, the super glue. That rolled edge on the SS alleviates that just a tiny bit.
    I recommend the "western style" folder, since I've found I use the protruding handle projecting up between my fingers to be a good way to help stabilize my grip on the razor.
    The Kamisori style DX I owned was a seriously cranky mistress. She was sold, the SS I keep for a travel razor (hate packing strops about).
    YMMV, blahblahblah.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  9. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Thanks for the informative reply Bussemand, and entropy1049! You both share the same issue that scares me to death about shavettes (thank you Bussemand for teaching me the proper term for this type of razor, as I thought they were straight razors. Forgiveness requested from those members in advance who do shave with straights), and straights....the learning curve = nasty nicks & cuts!! I was hoping that the shavettes were a little more "forgiving" when it came to the war wounds vs. traditional straights. You gents gave me much to think about (including Neolitium) that I will definitely consider over the weekend (with a Cuban cigar & a glass of double Cuban rum).

Bussemand and entropy1049 like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I have actually gotten worse 'war wounds' from some DE razors & blades than I have ever managed with a traditional straight razor. Granted, my focus and attention is perhaps greater while using a straight razor (which is appropriate, IMO) versus using a safety razor. After six months of near-daily use of a straight, when I opt to use a DE, I find my overall shaving technique has improved and the results are outstanding—even with the most aggressive DE razors. I have not used a shavette, but there has been some discussion on their merits as well as the shortcomings of using one instead of starting with a straight. Ryan's article and thread here is an interesting read: Shavettes

entropy1049 and Paulie like this.
  11. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Wow, I am impressed. Those are quite nice but the thought of using one still scares the dookey out of me. Kudos to all who use them.

Paulie likes this.
  12. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

I can see people being passionate about their hobby, but there's no need to get angry at a fellow TSD member about an honest mistake of terminology. We're here to help each other right?
    As i said, there are guarded blades, and blades with less exposure for the Feather. I've heard that they give a nice smooth shave, but i can't really testify to that as i haven't tried them yet.
    The first time i shaved with a straight, i just went for it. I must have made 4 passes + touch ups and i only got a couple of small nicks - my face however, was raw from shaving to much :prrr: I only gave it up because i wasn't ready for the maintenance work that comes with a straight

Paulie likes this.
  13. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

I strongly agree with you sir! I didn't want to step on any toes, so out of respect to those that are specific to the correct terminology (and those that are straight razor only) I made my plight. I have been on another shave forum, and read some people getting lambasted because they have used the wrong terminology. I am so glad that doesn't happen here!

14. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Pulled the trigger today on the Feather DX straight. Joe at Italian Barber, is out of stock on the DX folding and the black handled SS folding!! So I am patiently waiting for new stock to arrive.

Bussemand likes this.
  15. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Heck of a nice shavette. Good call.

16. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Thanks entropy1049. I will be sure to post pics upon arrival, and once I put it to work I will post my thoughts & results.

17. Paulie

Paulie Active Member

Sorry for not posting pics of the new shavette sooner, as I was too weak from all the blood loss lol. This razor is definitely NOT forgiving in any way!! However with time, patience, and many styptic pencils, I was finally able to go through several shaves now without drawing blood. I am thankful that I did persist, as I get a superb results now. The 15 degree angle I found worked best for me, and with this sharp tool, I used only enough pressure to keep the blade going through the stubble. I didn't find the weight of the Feather DX to be excessive, and it felt perfectly balanced in the hand. So, in the end I am glad that I did make the right purchase, and persisted through those "hairline cuts" to where I am at now with it. Slow and steady wins the race!

Attached Files: