Feather Stainless D/E Blades

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dmyers, Feb 28, 2011.

1. dmyers

dmyers Member

Any words of advise for those who have tried these sumari swords :eek: I just got in a pack of 10 so...

2. neanderthal

neanderthal Member

Out of the many blades I have tried these were the best. I didn't have any issues with them being too sharp or too aggressive. Beautiful shave, slightly better than Astras. What razor will you be using?

3. dmyers

dmyers Member

Merkur HD

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The last few times I have tried feather blades, my technique was not ready for them. I tried again recently and was rewarded with spectacular shaves. I would say make a nice lather, use a light touch, and enjoy the shave.

5. dmyers

dmyers Member

Thanks I shall try

6. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

It took me s few months of DE shaving before I would try a Feather. I was very hesitant after reading the majority of the comments and reviews of their sharpness. Then I got a few of them from my oldest son, whose beard is much heavier than mine. So, I manned up, tossed one into my Parker22R and have never looked back. The same goes for a Feather as it does for any other blade out there. Technique is everything. No pressure, ever! Some blades are a bit more forgiving when you try to get the stubborn areas that need a bit more work to get that BBS. This is where a Feather will literally leave its mark on you. NO pressure is the key. They are by far, the best I have ever tried as far as being comfortable and longevity. It boils down to the infamous YMMV.

7. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Personally, I think Feather blades are over-rated and definitely not worth the asking "double the money" price considering there are other damn fine blades at half the price, some I'd say are the same if not better than Feather. They aren't the monsters everyone makes them out to be. Just like with any other razor blade, they will eat you up if you don't shave right. All razor blades will do that, hence why they are sharp. Again, this is my personal opinion and as the saying goes, everyone has one...

8. sas71

sas71 Member

same razor i use and i dont do anything different with a Feather id do with any other blade. i just shave.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

It's a razor blade. Use it like any other. Yeah, it's sharp. They all are. They're designed to cut. That's why we buy 'em. They all will slice you good if you're not careful and get sloppy with your technique. With any and all blades, Feather, Astra, fill-in-the-blank, you gotta respect 'em.

10. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

Exactly! No need to be afraid of the Feathers, just treat them with respect, same as you would any cutting edge.
    I have been using them since Day 1 of shaving with safety razors and I love them. They are my reference blade.

11. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

12. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

The first time I used a Feather my face was smoother after the 2nd pass than after 3 or 4 with other blades. If that be the case with you, suggest you STOP there. Do not push extra passes (out of habit) that are not needed, especially with a Feather.

13. I tried the blades feather when I still had not a good hand, and I must say that I was very surprised by its cut. Surely I'll try 'these blades still very early, which I left in the drawer, I like to try new blades from time to time.

14. brucered

brucered New Member

i used them excusively in my Edwin Jagger. they came recommended, i was scared to use them, but after trying them, i've given up on finding a better blade for that razor.

Edwin Jagger 89 + Feather blade = perfect shave.

i can get about 3 shaves out of it, but i think i'm going to scrap them after 2 and give my face the shave and attention it deserves.