Feathers and razors getting along

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Single Wedge, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

So with all the fervor surrounding the Feather blades I thought that I would weigh in on the situation.

Here is what I have learned so far.

Feather are sharp, that much is true. But did you ever equate a sharp blade with being dull. I am talking shave sharp being dull. I never though it either.

I was working on trying to mate a blade to an old type. I tried Feathers, Personnas, Lord Supers, Wilkinson White.

I can say, and have had conversations to the effect, that the Old Type is aggressive or unforgiving. I think that is parsing, but I'll leave it for now.

I expected a the Feather to just be sharp and do its job. It did and it left my face feeling as if it had gone four passes with out any prep or shower. Dry and burning. However if I put the Feather into a Blue tip or Tech the blade shaves close with no burn.

Conversely if I place a Lord Super into an Old Type it will shave great with no burn. It will do the same in either a blue tip or a tech.

I found this to be an interesting paradox in the land of blades:

Sharp = dull (if) razor = unforgiving or aggressive

However

Sharp = Sharp (if) razor equals forgiving or sensitive

I believe these equations to be true for Feathers.

On the flip side, Lord Supers:

Sharp = Sharp (if) razor = unforgiving or forgiving

So if I were a betting man I would bet on the blade that I can depend more on working in more of my razors.

Has any one else run into this paradox?

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Not exactly. I've found feathers to be sharp in whatever razor I have put them in, but I find them to be unforgiving and give me a little bit of burn in all razors except for the generally aggressive and unforgiving merkur HD. I find that most blades are too dull for me no matter what razor I put them in. Also, I find that gillette 7 o' clocks are just as sharp as feathers but smoother and more forgiving while still giving a great shave.

3. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

+1 on the 7.O Clock. I had not had the chance to try them untill a couple weeks ago. I am now sold on them.

4. J T

J T Member

Wedge

What if the blades were not the same width (different manufactures, different tolerances), the same razor would have to be held at slightly different angles to achieve optimum results for the different blades. Gio has a list.

5. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

Do you have a linky?

I was unaware that such homework had been done.

I am intrigued.

6. texquill

texquill Member

Wow, lots of erudite discussion - and I thought it was all covered by "YMMV."

For me:
    Mercur 37C "slant" + Feathers = GREAT bbs shave :D

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

My solution:

Aggressive razors + milder blades
    Mild razor + Aggressive (Sharper) blades.

That said:
    Feathers in ALL of my SS - type razors (Ranger Tech, Red Tip, British Flare tip) work fabulously well.
    Derbys in my Slant SledgeHammer, Open Comb Merkur, British #15 are good matches, as well.

8. apswartz

apswartz New Member

Hmmm. I will have to try a Feather in my SS and see if that helps.

9. JayKay

I still don't believe that blade length has anything to do with the aggressiveness. I also dont believe that blade length will alter the angle of a blade in a razor.

10. J T

J T Member

Point and click is the sum total of my computer skills, so no links from me ....but

Go to the Razor and Brush homepage, hit Articles and then Blade Exposure

11. JayKay

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Looks good to me!

13. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I tried Feathers in quite a few razors and had one combination really stand out. Feather + Parat = shaving nirvana. A Feather and an early Tech, especially English, is pretty good as well. Make of it what you will.

YMMV and all that jazz.

14. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

O.K., for all my Feather bashing, I must admit Chris is right. I did put one in an English Tech and got a pretty good shave with it.

15. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

It happens....rarely :D

16. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

I've yet to experience any razor / blade combo that can eliminate whiskers more efficiently than a fresh Feather in a Slant. That's the only razor I use it in. I enjoy other razors and combos but if we're talking pure efficacy, that one's tough to beat. I'll keep looking though ;)

17. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

A.K.A. Ninja Shave :cool:

18. apswartz

apswartz New Member

[​IMG]

19. JimR

JimR Active Member

The article is about blade width, from one edge to another, rather than length. I think that could have a major effect on the shave, increasing or decreasing the gap between the cutting edge and the safety bar much like an adjustable does. A very small amount, perhaps, but...how much does an adjustable change that gap?

20. SuperSpeed

SuperSpeed New Member

SEE prior two posts...

JimR is 100% correct with his observation about blade width, or edge-to-edge exposure! ;)

apswartz has shown us a rare photograph indeed! Not only is the fellow shaving with (egad) a knife...BUT it is an electric one at that! Note the cord in the outlet. You just can't see where it enters the handle of the knife!!!

Gives us a whole new perspective on those Electric Thanksgiving Turkey Slicers, doesn't it? :happy102

--Morrie