Feathers Vs Pils

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Johnny, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Well, I have been informed Christmas will come early for me and I have been offered the high end razor of my choice. So, I have narrowed it down between a Feathers or a Pils.

Anyone that has had experience with either or both, please chime in. All input appreciated and considered.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I can't help you with either, but they are some nice looking razors that I would be thrilled to receive as a gift!

3. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I personally would go with the pils... But that is just me.

I doubt i will ever buy either of those razors but if i had the choice i would get the pils. However YMMV and if you get the pils or the feather you may hate them.

I know BullGoose has a pils and has used it and likes it very much. I have PMed him about it you might want to pm him for more info. He might be able to help you out :).

4. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

5. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Regan, thanks for the info, I have sent BullGoose a PM also. I hope he replies.

alpla444, thanks for the link.

6. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I also sent an email to Phil at BullGoose and here is his reply to me.

Hello Johnny:

Yes, I do have experience with both the Feather and the PILS. I have a PILS in my personal rotation and love the way it shaves. Two things I am not wild about are 1) the handle is too thin and can be slippery and 2) the metal reacts with the blades forming "tea stains" that will become rust if you let it go. Despite these two negatives, it delivers an outstanding shave, it is among my favorite razors.

The Feather has outstanding workmanship, it has a very comfortable handle and it does not rust or stain. Unfortunately for me, I found the shave to be too mild. You may very well have a different interpretation.

If you like a slightly more aggressive shave, I would recommend an iKon razor. All current models are out of stock but a new model will be released next month. Just an FYI.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Phil

7. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Glad he could help... I was going to suggest the Ikon or even just a custom with a head that you like. :)

8. Godan

Godan Member

Phil has two versions of the Ikon Modern on his site now. I own the one with the longer handle, that is similar to a Pils with much-needed knurling added. I also own the Feather All Stainless, which I do not find significantly milder than the Ikon. A shim would add aggressiveness, and it is easy enough to install. Each razor requires some technique, that can be learned, for a clean shave. With Feather blades, both are very smooth. As products of elegant design and precise engineering, both vastly better than the cast zinc alloy Merkurs and other modern brands made of zinc.