February '16 - 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Jan 31, 2016.

?

Which do you seek?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2016.
  1. The Purity of Perfection

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. The Perfection of Purity

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Neither/Other

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. (cookies)

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Greetings Denizens!

Welcome to the February 2016 edition of the 30 Day Rule or Focus discussion threads. Since January 2015, and each month a group of TSD members have gathered and posted their experiences with thirty day exercises. Though the discussion can be both quite boisterous and wandering--technique, and the interplay of technique and gear are the topics that drive our discussion, and a love of this hobby bonds us together. From time to time we may even stop and ask ourselves "What's the worst that could happen?", and sometimes I think we have more fun writing about shaving than we do actually shaving! Make sure to stop by the SOTD thread and post a pic and a meet the guys over there if you're new to TSD. They are a very cool crew, and the various posts are a virtual daily gallery of "what's up?" on the forum.

When I was a brand new DE shaver, GD Carrington introduced me to the following concepts, and I started to do thirty day rules. My shaving happiness increased immensely, as I finally learned to use all the gear I had collected on my search for great shaves. The two types of exercises are in action on this thread.

The 30 Day Rule

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for new shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach. Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's have another great year sharing our hobby!

The housekeeping:

We love new members!
    We play nice, always.
    We follow the forum rules.
    We focus on the here and now.
    We welcome all to post here, and all razor types and styles.

Also, Congrats to to @Queen of Blades ! February is the month that TSD celebrates the anniversary of the site's origin, and she's the one who makes it all happen. Thanks Queen for your support of our little hobby, and for creating what I believe to be the most unique hobby site on the web! Be sure to visit the forum store, and check out her products. Everything I've ever tried from TSD has been super high quality, and also a good value for my shaving dollar. I use ISZ AS just about every day, am a big fan of M Bomb, and use the soap every Sunday! Her "Barber Shoppe" scent is second to none in my book, and her Iced SubZero is the real deal. Be sure to take a look!

If you are new, welcome aboard! To all the vets, welcome back! Thanks for reading, and I hope your shaves in February are the best ever!

Chris

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    Tdmsu, BigCabDaddy, wmbjr and 13 others like this.
  2. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

I'm in! Again!

This will be my tenth month straight on this thread, which accounts for my entire experience with 'traditional wet shaving' - which to me means life after carts and electric razors.

My February Focus will continue my tour through the alphabet of injector razors that I own. Starting with the success I had with the Schick Type C1 in January, I'll now move to the Schick Type D.

Looking forward to spending another month with the 30 Day Crew!
    Cheers!
    RT

ps - As for the monthly poll - Which Do You Seek?

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.”
    - Football coaching legend Vince Lombardi

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    BigCabDaddy, Bill_F, clint64 and 11 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

I am also in! 30 more days of stropping and shaving, hopefully career SR shaves 31-60, including some travel.

The hardware:
    Ralf Aust 5/8 Round point
    WD "Sight Unseen" 5/8

@Drygulch Leatherworks "45" Black Bridle/Poly hanging strop

The Software:

L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
    Omega Pro 48

Route 66 - Lumberjack
    TSD Shave Stick
    La Toja shave stick

The plan is a 30 Day Focus with the above items, working on shave efficiency and stropping competence. I will stick to Plisson/Route 66 primarily, but Shave Den Sunday will be a thing for me. I will also occasionally go to what I now will call "the big guns", inspired by @RaZorBurn123 , of La Toja and Omega, on random days. Going to do a lot of Veg this month too.

If you're new, welcome aboard! Ask us anything you like, someone here knows the answer! Good luck and have a great February!

BigCabDaddy, wmbjr, Seabs and 13 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

GB quote. Cookie time.

5. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Great idea Chris.

I'll also commit to Shave Den Sunday. I can hardly wait for Spring to order one of my favorite TSD soaps - Yin Yang!
    Cheers!
    RT

6. Bama Samurai

Thanks Vince, I really like what @Douglas Carey has done with all that. It's nearing time to order more ISZ and soap myself, thinking Oakmoss/Sandalwood, or maybe a tub of pure unscented for fun.

7. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Yes one of my favorite quotes from the GB Packer coach who, for us oldsters, was also a member of the famous "Seven Blocks of Granite" from his playing days.

Cookie to anyone who can tell us - to what football team that phrase was attributed?
    (no googling please) :rolleyes005:

8. Bama Samurai

Fordham?

9. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

Good morning guys. No focus for me this month - I have a handful of soap samples that need to be evaluated, a few blades, 2 razors on loan than I want to try and hopefully 2 more incoming next week. So I have not the slightest idea what to focus on, other than maybe a brush - and that would be pretty dull.
    But I will follow your progress here of course ;) :happy088:

BigCabDaddy, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 10 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Have fun with the new toys! Stop by for a cookie anytime!

BigCabDaddy, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 7 others like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

The 1939 Fordham-Bama game was a Frank Thomas 7-6 upset classic, and only the second game ever to be televised, though only in NYC. Lombardi was on that Ram Squad, if memory serves.

BigCabDaddy, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 6 others like this.
  12. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

I am in. I really want to dial in Mitchells Wool Fat and my new Gillette Fat Handled Tech. So my setup will be:

Gillette Fat Handled Tech
    Voskhod Blade
    @Jayaruh Silvertip #23
    Mitchells Wool Fat aka The Fat

And just for good measure I'll also stick to one aftershave...30 days of the Veg sounds great :)

Also my 30 day focus may carry over into March as I don't always shave everyday...I hope that's ok.

BigCabDaddy, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 13 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Hi! Welcome aboard. Generally, we mean just stick to that setup for a month, whether that means 15 shaves or 30 shaves. That is a classic setup, and I feel that the test of a DE shaver skill is the Tech. It's the most often copied razor design in the world for a good reason. It works! If you can get BBS with that mild, yet highly efficient setup, you can do it with anything! :happy088: Good luck!

14. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BigCabDaddy, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 9 others like this.
  15. Mr. Freeze93

Gotcha! Thanks I look forward to learning the ins and outs of the Fat and the Tech :)

16. Mr. Freeze93

I smell lovely! :D Just not to everyone around me...:sick007:

BigCabDaddy, wmbjr, Rufus T. and 6 others like this.
  17. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Thanks Chris for setting up the 30 R/F thread! As always you do a fantastic job.
    Happy Anniversary TSD!
    My focus for the month with be a real challenge but I'm up for it. I'm going to use my Semogue 830 for the first 14 days of February, and my Semogue 610 for the last 15 days of February. I really need to break these two fine brushes in and what a great opportunity to do so.

18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

IMG_0891 (Copy).JPG
    My tools this month:
    Blackland Blackbird
    Persona Lab Blue
    The Soap Exchange Bay Rum tallow
    Brushes to be rotated

My goal is to use a single Persona blade for as many face shaves as it will accomplish. Can I make it a month? I will be trying to have a slick and wet lather each day and to maintain a consistent low angle with the razor.

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

February will be a rock fight. I will compare my J Nat the Shapton 12k/16k combination. I will not be honing but touching up my razors. Pics to be posted tomorrow.

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, Rufus T. and 9 others like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Happy anniversary to TSD! This place has been fantastic on my journey to a great shave for sure!

I came in late last month, so I didn't get the full 30 day rule. I guess I'd have to call my plan more of a focus this month, as I will be trying some different soaps, but I am sticking to the Chiseled Face samples once they arrive, postman didn't bring it yesterday, so I will start with those when they arrive. I will stick with my EJ DE89, Feather Blades and Omega Brush.

For the Straight Razor users, did you start working with both hands on a DE? I do want to get there someday, and I see you switch hands when shaving. I'm thinking I should start using my left hand to hold the razor some. I'm fairly ambidextrous, I think I'll be OK without needing an ER visit..