February '16 - 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Jan 31, 2016.

?

Which do you seek?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2016.
  1. The Purity of Perfection

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. The Perfection of Purity

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Neither/Other

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. (cookies)

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

2/10/16

Gillette Old Type
    Feather Hi-Stainless (2)
    Vulfix Super Badger (660)
    The Strop Shoppe Baker Street
    Georgetown G12 Scuttle
    Pinaud Clubman Original

IMG_2621.JPG

A fine BBS provided by the Feather in my Gillette Old Type. Along with a fantastic soap gifted by @clint64: Strop Shoppe Baker Street.

2 passes with great reduction, followed by some minor touch up with the lather on my face after the second pass. A cool water rinse and a tiny bit of touch up brought the baby home. The Clubman stung a lot, but it didn't last. The Baker Street provided tons of slick and creamy lather. So much, that I when I finished, I had enough for at least 3 more passes.

IMG_2623.JPG

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

2. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

February 10
    Edwin Jagger DE89
    Feather (3)
    PSO, Hot Shower, Nivea Face wash
    Omega 10066 Boar Shaving Brush
    Route 66 Sea & Citrus soap
    Alum, Chiseled Face Summer Storm, Nivea Balm
    Mod Cabin Honeysuckle Beard Balm

[​IMG]

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Soap: Tabac
    Brush: Druida Aluminum Chubby
    Razor: The One Blade
    Blade: FHS-10 #1

W1.jpg

4. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

My internet is down at home, so have no pictures. Shave #10 of the focus with the Persona Lab blade and the Blackland Blackbird razor. Smooth and clean again with 3 passes.

5. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Well, as you know I have selected 7 blades to use, each for one week as my blade trial. I am going to add an 8th blade just to make this a two month focus. So my final list of blades are now as follows:

1. Gillette 7 o'clock Super Stainless (green)
    2. Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (yellow)
    3. Derby
    4. Blue Bird
    5. Gillette Silver Blue
    6. Feather
    7. Shark
    8. Astra SP

Why did I add the Shark you might ask? Well, I looked through my zip lock bag of blades and these were the only ones I have not tried yet. I read mixed reviews on these blades (as is the case with most blades), so in the spirit of keeping an open mind, Shark is now my final entry.

Just out of interest, I had my 4th shave with the the Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge this morning and it is retaining its sharp edge and is getting smoother with each shave. It reminds me very much of the Astra SP. Three more shave to go and then its on to the Derby!

6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Mongoose Focus
    I'm still getting great shaves with this razor. Unfortunately, I seem to get at least one weeper a day. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I will keep trying to lighten the pressure.
    SOTD
    Route 66 Sea and Citrus
    Doug Korn synthetic brush
    Mongoose
    Kai Captain Titan Mild (3)
    Alum
    Florida Water
    Have fun!

[​IMG]

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

You are doing great. For me I got a lot of weepers with the Mongoose when I first started using it. After some time, I quit getting as many. I still nick myself if I get careless and put the razor to my face to quickly.

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't get weepers with a DE anymore and was starting to get discouraged. That's why I'm doing the focus. I want to master this thing.

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Don't get discouraged. It's just a different beast of a razor. I was lucky in that the first 30 day thread started the week after I got the Mongoose. So I did two 30 day threads with the Goose. From there it was my most used razor by a large margin. For me it was a very easy razor good shaves but took a while to consistently get great shaves.

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I am working on one now I don't want to polish. I have been reading up on using cold bluing on a straight, and think I am going to try it on an old Sheffield blade.

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 3 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Gillette Red Tip C2, 1957
    Blade: Gillette Platinum (4)
    Brush: Fendrihen Silver Tip
    Soap: Route 66 Frozen Retro Spice
    A/S: Old Spice
    10 02 16.JPG

12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I know a lot of people hate it, I got a great shave with the Shark in Mild to Medium razors, but not as good in aggressive ones.

wristwatchb, wmbjr, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  13. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Great picture Clint

14. TomJ89de

Great picture the one blade is beautiful from any angle

Boojum1, wristwatchb, wmbjr and 3 others like this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Tom.

16. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

February 10, 2016

February Focus with my Schick Type D - The first Schick Injector Razor circa 1935

On the road, so shaving with my travel kit including my Schick C1. Back home and to focus on the Type D tomorrow.

Razor: Schick Type C1
    Blade: NOS Personna 74* (USA) (3)
    Soap: Figaro cream (Hungary)
    Brush: Rubberset Travel Brush (with synthetic knot)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455129087.108465.jpg

A great shave with my Schick Type D on Tuesday set me up for a one-pass (ATG) shave today. Excellent shave. Four hours later, the soap has left me with a fabulous face feel.

As reviewed last month, this blade is very sharp, there's no rushing the shave with this one. It also seems to demand a well hydrated and lubricated face. So I changed up my soap strategy by trying some creams on the road. (Thanks for the tip @clint64)

Got a few generic lip gloss containers (5 for about 4$ down by the bay) which I can fill with some favorite and different creams. The lip gloss insert into the tube makes for efficient spreading of the right amount of cream directly along my jawline to face lather.

Cheers!
    RT

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

The leatherworker in me wants to know if that is a vintage case, custom made, or off the shelf product? That looks really nice.

18. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Thanks Adam. The seller didn't give me any detail on the kit. But I sense it is an off the shelf product as I found a tag in it...though I've been wrong before.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455133486.354366.jpg

Just found this used one on Etsy. Also a few on the bay.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/265947...f7fcf89c8f79&gclid=CMXm5_L67coCFQIKaQodNEQMpg

19. TomJ89de

Lovely shave tonight I feel I have finally mastered the 1924. Apart from slight irritation I have had over a week of consistent bbs. I'm not sure what the standard is for true perfection but I'm assuming slight irritation is part of what we do? I'm so glad I can move on from the 1924, not because I dislike it but because it has been an epic battle. Time for a new one, I will order my futur and some soaps tomorrow and begin my next focus on Monday. Thank you a all for helping me conquer the ER 1924, I would of give up without this group.

20. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Congrats on mastering the 1924!!! I will be stalking your findings on the Futur as I am thinking of buying one as well.