February '16 - 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Jan 31, 2016.

?

Which do you seek?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2016.
  1. The Purity of Perfection

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  2. The Perfection of Purity

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Neither/Other

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. (cookies)

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Thank you. I am really looking forward to trying the futur @Marverel did a focus on it last month with great results. If you would like an in depth view sooner I'm sure he can send you the link. I don't know how to. Which finish do you prefer? I'm going for Matt chrome as I've heard it's got more grip. The chrome one is beautiful though.

2. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Beautiful looking kit @Rufus T. :happy096:

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

4. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Matt Chrome as well as I have heard the regular chrome while pretty can get quite slippery and the Futur is not a tiny razor and looks like that thing dropping on your foot would hurt like a mother so a good comfortable and solid grip is what I am after :)

Rufus T., wristwatchb, wmbjr and 5 others like this.
  5. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

Love the "cold" pics! We actually saw 2 flurries yesterday. Yep! TWO whole flurries. :happy097:
    I have to admit it took me a second to locate the brush in the picture too. Did not realize OS came in a cannon. I knew about the lantern and lighthouses and some others. That is pretty neat decanter.

Bill_F, Rufus T., Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  6. wmbjr

Love the kit! Beautiful! The idea about the lip gloss container is genius! :happy096: I assume you got it from someone else. :happy102: Of course I am kidding. It really does make for an excellent way to travel with cremes! :happy088:

Bill_F, Rufus T., Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  7. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

The Old Spice Cannon Decanter (Product ID #4356 came out in 1973. I haven't seen many around. Been snowing here for a few days, however, we haven't had much snow. The snow has been very light. More that a couple of flacks. :) I have quite a few Old Spice Decanters. I like to collect them.
    OldSpiceCannonDecanter.jpg

8. wmbjr

February 2016 Focus -- Schick injectors

February 10

Razor: Canadian Schick Injector E Type
    Blade: Chinese Schick Injector (2)
    Brush: Stirling Kong
    Soap: Stirling Gatlinburg
    20160209_011620-picsay.jpg
    20160210_001347-picsay.jpg
    Another near BBS shave from the Canadian E type. As I type I am still fairly smooth. Not nearly as long lasting as my Executive shaves with the GSB or the Bolzano blades, but a good shave nonetheless. I think today may have been a tad rougher than yesterday because I had some slight irritation on the neck. Did not really burn, but it did turn slightly red so I know I did something a little different (probably too much pressure even though I was trying to be cognizant of it as always with these injectors). I have some of the Personna coated blades being shipped in and hopefully will receive them within a week or so. Should give me a few days to finish using the E type, use the J type and then do some blade comparisons. Attached is also a closer pic of the spring in hopes that @Billyfergie can identify whether this is an E3 or E4 razor from Canada. It definitely has the ridges, but I am not sure beyond that what I am supposed to look for to make the determination.

Thoroughly enjoy the Gatlinburg scent. It definitely has the outdoors scent. I can catch the cedar and the cade without any trouble. Once I have it all lathered up and on my face, I get a hint of the black pepper. Enjoyed the scent and the lather is always plentiful and slick.

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

February 10

Weber Polished Head DE
    Feather (1)
    Edwin Jagger XL Synthetic
    Arko
    Alum, Thayer's Lavender witch hazel, unrefined shea butter, and CC Bay Rum

Yesterday's and today's shaves were very similar: ATG, XTG for near-BBS results and no irritation. Arko has been the soap of choice for the last few shaves, as I'm trying to use the last of it up. My technique is such that I generally need no touch-ups after the second pass, and I average maybe one very small weeper a week. The CC Bay Rum was an excellent finish on this cold, snowy February day.

Dark Side Alert: I received my PRC straight razor in the mail today. I plan to give it a spin on Saturday!

I hope everyone's having a smooth week and even smoother shaves.

SOTD_021016.JPG

10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Tom! I agree, beautiful AGT, XGT or WTG. ;)

wristwatchb, TomJ89de, Bill_F and 4 others like this.
  11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Soap: Barrister and Mann Seville
    Brush: Doug Korn Ivory & Aqua D-7 Finest
    Razor: Blackland Blackbird
    Blade: Feather #1

Today's shave was two passes plus clean up and the result was excellent. Closeness A+ Irritation A+ (Zero). The Blackbird with a Feather in its beak gave me a smooth and efficient shave. Finished with a spritz of B&M Night Music. Grrrreat scent! :cool: Hope everyone is having a productive Thursday.

Th1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Good shave with the Green Lizard today. DFS with little irritation. Focused on light pressure and trimming around the stache. Trimmed the bottom of the horseshoe, and am working on training the handlebar. Not quite long enough, but getting there. image.jpeg image.jpeg

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great stuff. :happy096:

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture! The Gatlinburg scent is one of my favorite Stirling scents. It is definitely the most outdoorsy of all my scents.

15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Focus: NF Brush #7 - Feb 12
    New Forest Tambootie wood handle w/ silvertip knot

Another one of the five wood handles that Peter made.
    This morning it was one of the Tambootie handles.
    The silvertip knot is probably the densest and most luxurious of the seven NF brushes I've gone through so far in the focus. No scritch what so ever and it was a pure pleasure to use.

I'd rate it an 8.5/10 which is, I think, the highest rating so far.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  16. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Wait, what?!
    Doesn't everyone use lip gloss, er, balm?

;)

17. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

It's about the exact same model, except I found mine new, the etsy one is 'well used.'
    There's some on the bay as well.

18. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Nice one Adam!
    Maybe we should start a club?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455152199.573281.jpg

19. wmbjr

I'm also a big fan of Ozark Mountain. Another great outdoors scent. I want to try the Texas on fire. It sounds like it will be another good one.

20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD February 11, 2016
    Focus day 11

Prep: Warm shower
    Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
    Razor: Maggard MR1
    Brush: Satin Tip 'The Purest' synthetic
    Lather: Proraso Red
    WTG, touch-up

Continued good results with this combination of goods. CCS with no irritation. My face feels pretty good. I'm using a good bit of balm because the winter season is not kind to my skin and everything tends to be dry. I've started using a little of the balm all over my face. I used to put a different type of lotion over my nose and forehead area but I've moved to just using the Nivea all over. That seems to work pretty well.

I think the consistent results I'm getting means that my technique is improving each day. It's quite rare to get a nick or weeper at this point. My pressure is generally good despite a few occasions where I have to remind myself to back off. Using a set of products in a rule-type fashion has been good for me. The elimination of variables and constant shifting of soaps and blades and razors really helps you hone in on technical skills. So my Tuesday-Thursday combos have aided in getting good shaves.

Tomorrow I will switch up the products and go with a different combination. Have a great Thursday!

SOTD 2-11-16.JPG

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016