February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It keeps humble and is a reminder we need practice for the shaving while driving challenge.

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Today was a training shave

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Wonderful picture, Doug! Looks like a fly fishing dream.

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

"Wildman, the insane shaving dude"

5. Keithmax

Shave 2 Shavemac silver tip:

Crowne and Crane and my Dovo Bismarck were my choices today. This the first shave after touching up the Dovo with my Zulu Grey hone. I am still figuring out this hone but today the edge was very smooth and adequately sharp. I tried spooning out some C&C and this is hard stuff so it took me a little while to build the lather but in the end I had lots and lots of slick lather. Four passes and zero blood, zero irritation and a smooth face. I will attempt a training like @mrchick tomorrow. I need to get ready for the drive shave challenge.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A

Fear and Loathing in the Shave Den, a homage to Hunter S. Thompson.
    IMG_0226.jpg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The Timeless .95 OC is efficient but it will bite. I saw your tweet about the new handle. I wish they would have had that size from the start.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Very Cool Photo. :happy096:

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Very nice.

Also, alum is optional. Go for comfort.

clint64, Drygulch, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

What fools these mortals be. Hast thou not learned? Thou shalt not tempt the shaving gods.

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Do I look like a mortal?

11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Well, in Tolkien's world, only Elves were immortal, and to quote Dr. McCoy, not to mention mixing franchises, I don't see no points on your ears, boy.

twhite, clint64, mrchick and 6 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

No mere mortal would straight razor shave while driving.

clint64, mrchick, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  13. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

The bad news: our Whole Foods is closing. It is our only local source for Kiss My Face or Thayer's products.

The good news: got some Thayer's Rose witch hazel, Thayer's lavender mint witch hazel, and Kiss My Face Lavender Shave cream at closeout prices. Lavender shave to follow.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

clint64, Drygulch, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

If you don't mind buying on-line, Amazon has great deals on KMF and Thayer's. There's usually always a 3-pack of Thayer's offered at a decent price. With Prime, you get free shipping.

clint64, Drygulch, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

Congrats Rick, and thanks for serving the TSD family. :happy088:

mini.png

clint64, Keithmax, mrchick and 7 others like this.
  16. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I don't mind ordering online when I have to. I just like to support local business whenever possible. Most of my shave gear does get ordered online, actually, as wet shaving supplies just aren't carried in many places around here. I've got enough now to tide me over for quite a while, though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

17. wristwatchb

That's a sweet looking brush, Frank. If it performs as well as it looks, you will be well pleased!

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I did mention to them that size in titanium. I think that may be a good idea.

19. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The last couple of days have turned out to be rather hectic, so I'm finally getting around to catching up. Basically, we got a call early yesterday morning that our daughter was finally going to be admitted to an intensive physical therapy program for Amplified Musculoskeletal Pain Syndrome (AMPS) at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). We've been trying to get her in for months but have been blocked by one thing or another. In typical "hurry up and wait" style, though, they needed her there by 0700 today for intake. The program itself is an outpatient program which could go from 3-8 weeks, depending on her progress and since we live about 90 minutes from the hospital, this means that she and my wife will be staying in a hotel near the hospital for that time. Anyway, lots of running around to get them and their stuff out there and settled in.

Meanwhile, on the shaving front...

February 20, 2017
    Razor: Gillette New LC
    Blade: Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus (6)
    Brush: Cremo Horsehair by Vie-Long
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

This shave turned out to be one of those happy accidents that sometimes occur. I was in a bit of a rush with everything going on and grabbed the nearest razor that already had a blade in it- the New LC with a well-used Rubie. Oddly enough, I ended up with a shave about as close to BBS as my face will tolerate. The Alum was a little hotter than usual in spots but not overly so. A little Aveeno AS on my neck and I was good to go for yesterday and most of today.

February 21, 2017
    Razor: F2 Gillette 195 Adjustable (4)
    Blade: German Wilkie (4)
    Brush: Cremo
    Soap: Cella

Since my wife isn't home, I decided to break out a shaving soap; in this case, Cella. It's not something I can do everyday, but it did make for a nice change.

I'm definitely still trying to get the hang of this brush, though. I seem to be able to build lather okay with it, but end up having to reload it for each pass. I'm guessing that at least part of the issue is the small size of the brush. (I *almost* wish I still had a Marvy brush for a size comparison.)

Overall, a very nice DFS+ to end a long couple of days.

clint64, Keithmax, mrchick and 10 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I love the stock on that handle. I haven't seen it in red before. Looking forward to seeing your pic tomorrow.

clint64, Drygulch, RyX and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.