February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Wazzup? How long of a layover?

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

All good goals to work on. We've all had those shaves that just turned into disasters for no apparent reason. Usually it's a lapse of technique for some reason but one bad shave every now and then is still better than mediocre shaves everyday from the cart world.

3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thanks very much Jim.

4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

February 28, 2017

Razor: F2 Gillette 195 Adjustable (4)
    Blade: German Wilkie (2)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Soap: Mineral Fusion + KMF fragrance-free

I ended up running out of the house this morning so I didn't get a chance to shave until tonight. I ended up with a decent shave though not as close as some; call it a CCS+/DFS-.

It's been an interesting month. I got to try some new hardware (Gem JR, Rubie Platinum Plus, Cremo horsehair brush) as well as revisit some products I haven't used in a while (German WS). All-in-all a successful non-focus Focus.

5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Not too long. I leave at 8:30, so just about an hour and a half.

6. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

So how is that cremo horse hair brush doing? I've seen them at Target.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

7. Bama Samurai

Safe travels!

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Fatboy February!!!!!

February 28
    Razor - 1959 Gillette Fatboy (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Soap Commander Courage
    Brush - Jayaruh #46
    Post - Alum

Final shave of Fatboy February. I grabbed the JR46 and Soap Commander and quickly had slick lather. No worries, no problems. Shave was very smooth with the Ladas, two pass plus touch up to get to a near BBS. No problems, worries, complaints. Great way to finish the month.

February has been incredibly fun! I added the new Fatboy to the collection, tried out Stirling and Soap Commander soaps and won the JR46 to add a synthetic brush to the den. My, my, my.....can't ask for much more than that! Lots of fun figuring out the new stuff and a quick summary would include the following:

1. @Jayaruh makes one fine brush.
    2. Maggard Synthetic knots are apparently alien technology.
    3. The Fatboy lives up to its hype. Fine, fine razor.
    4. Stirling soaps - Excellent!
    5. Soap Commander soaps - Excellent!
    6. It's hard to stay on focus with all of the enabling that goes on in this place. Sheesh!

And finally - it's been a record breaking month here in the land of 30 Days. Thanks to everyone for your response to this group and for being a part of it. Here's to another fantastic month starting tomorrow and I hope to see you all there along with a friend or two you can get to come along!

Feb 28.jpg

9. Bama Samurai

Gotta go find a newbie winner, brb...

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I'm in Grand Junction tonight. It's a balmy 27 degrees here

11. Bama Samurai

Howdy West side! North of the Denver airport, the fog has boiled up. Two inches wet snow combined with warm ground and it's thick out here on the prairie tonight, 25f.

12. mrchick

My February focus was on doing ATG passes with a straight razor, as that pass has always intimidated me. After doing 28 shaves, which included an ATG pass, I am no longer intimidated and can actually do ATG passes confidently and injury free. What I have discovered is that ATG doesn't bring much to my shave. I can get consistent DFS results with just two passes, one WTG and one XTG. The only place that has even needed an occasional ATG pass is my jawline. It's nice to no longer feel intimidated by any aspect of straight shaving. It's taken a lot of shaves to get there.
    It was a good month. I look forward to March where I think my focus may be on only shaving with razors I have honed. I need to work on my honing skills and this will be an incentive.
    Hugs for all.
    [​IMG]

13. Bama Samurai

Jedi!

Congrats on mastering the blade! When it feels "normal," you got it.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

February Fat Boy Focus Finale

Klar’s Rasierseife Mandel, B-400 Tuxedo
    Fourth Quarter '59 #195 & Feather blade
    Alum block and RazoRock AS Wax

SOTD 02282017.gif

Closing out the month with a new*to*me soap. Klar has been manufacturing since 1840. I think they have it figured out. Mandel, in English - "Almond". If Cella is Marzipan, Klar is a cake smashed in your face. I like it. After warming up the Osakan suribachi via John @Sparrow and shaking the Tux near dry I loaded on the quintuple milled puck for about 15 seconds. Easy to build lather in about 30 seconds, Thomas @Straight razor dandy hooked me up with a winner. Applied it, thought maybe a bit thin, so I rubbed brush tips on the puck and there it was. Perfect thick, creamy, slumping peaks straight razor quality lather. WTG on nine. six for ATG, XTG, G-slides, & chin buffing. Still had lather left over. Won't take me long to get the loading figured out. Next time I just might go straight to a face lather. Alum was a little tingly on my neck for the couple extra passes. Kind of expect that with a Feather between 6 & 9. Been shuffling my storage cabinet and found a great Winter time AS. I think it's a discontinued product - pine scented, protective, long lasting.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

15. mrchick

Thank you Chris. These thirty day threads have been so helpful to me. Without them I would probably have given up on straights a long time ago. I now look forward to my daily straight shaves. Thanks guys!

16. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Klar is truly a great product. It smells great, lasts forever, and lathers like a dream. I'm glad you are enjoying it.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Y'all can have that weather. I wore a tee shirt, shorts, and boat shoes while pruning citrus trees in the orchard today. I think we reached 81 degrees. The satsumas & navels are blooming. I'll need to start cutting grass soon.
    KIMG0697.gif

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Neal and thanks for all you doing running the 30 day threads.

Norcalnewb, RyX, NCoxSTL and 3 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Beautiful brush Jared. You have progressed quickly with the shavettes. Congrats.

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs011: on both fronts. :happy088::happy088:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.