February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you Clint, yes he will be our first.

2. Linuxguile

Thanks Jared, this last two to four weeks and the thought that he can come any time is a little nerve racking. But we are very excited too, just patiently waiting for him to say that he is ready.

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

It is something I've been struggling with. I've added an ATG pass every day for the last week. I want to keep practicing until I get it right.

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Which is quite important, because getting it wrong with an ATG and straight can be rather a problem.
    sweeneygif-76_zpsc906c021.gif

5. mrchick

That's been part of the intimidation. I'll do this until I get it right, or bleed out

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Now THAT'S the spirit we're looking for here!!

Minions10_zpsdd28ca77.gif

Douglas Carey, Keithmax, RyX and 6 others like this.
  7. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

After a few months of reading along, I'd like to join in this month to this super positive and informative forum!
    Alas, no Fatboy, but I did get a group of Vintage Gillettes that I'd like to Focus on. '52 Canadian Tech, '54 40s SS and '59 Flare Tip. Excited to get them for a good price on one order (saving on shipping is important when sending to Canada!). I do have a Birth Year Black Beauty in transit arriving some time in the next few weeks that will be my first adjustable. Between those 4 razors, I think I'm probably good for at least two months of 'focussing'. Will try to keep a standard rotation of soaps and my few brushes for consistency.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Those are some great razors to play with, ummmm, I mean focus on this month. Is the center bar notched on the '40s SS?

9. jtspartan

image.jpg
    Yes, I believe so. Have attached a photo.It is dated 'Z' . That is a '54 is it not? According to the dating charts i've seen, it would also be the last year for this 40s style, would it not? It cleaned up very nicely

10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

With the exception of one, every cut I have gotten since I started this shavette thing has been ATG.

11. PickledNorthern

Sounds like a fun bunch of toys, er uh tools for you to focus in on.

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Yep, that's notched and the Z date is 1954. That is the last year for those so it's a pretty good one to have! At least in my way of thinking. When I'm collecting I like to have the first year and the last year, or my birth year of course. That is a very nice looking SS. Better quality than either of mine when I got them. I need to send the '49 to replating still.

13. jtspartan

I didn't know (or even understood) the years when I bought them, just that I could get three nice vintages to try for a good price! Believe it or not, the Flare Tip is in even better shape. After cleaning it looks basically unused. The 3rd razor in that purchase was a NDC ('46-'50 based on the oblong holes I think) Ball End Gold Tech that is also in great shape. As I already have a Canadian Tech I found in my local 2nd hand store, that Gold Tech is in my Dopp kit as a travel razor.

14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Technique focus!

Douglas Carey, RyX, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  15. mrchick

My big wound was XTG with my Feather SS.
    Looks like a dueling scar

16. mrchick

Welcome to the group and have fun!

17. PickledNorthern

Pretty much any of the CUTS, as opposed to nicks were with that damnable Feather.

18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm in. Three areas on this month's focus:
    1. Soap Samples: I have samples of Soap Commander Inspiration, Mama Bear Lilly of the Valley, Mama Bear Hydrogen, and Wheat State Sweet Tobacco Leaf. I started the Soap Commander yesterday. My plan is to use each one until it is gone, then get back to my normal soap rotation.
    2. Den Reduction. Going to do some shaves with razors I am on the fence on. My goal by the end of the month is to have identified 6 straights to rehome, and get my safety razor count down to single digit.
    3. Technique. Looking to keep going with my three pass shave routine, focusing on my trouble spots without developing irritation or cuts.
    I do plan on shenanigans, but will wait for the right time.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to the 30 day crew. :)

20. Linuxguile

Welcome, sounds like you are in store for some great shaves!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.