February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

This month's theme may be a tough one. I have so far chosen to go Focus rather than Rule. A Gillette 195 shave is my favorite Focus break. So I'll say Focus on the Fat Boy, but everything else is up for grabs.
    Several new-to-me soaps either already here or on the way. A freshly set badger knot I can quick swap with the Tuxedo for the B-400. To avoid Anticipation Cramps, I'm actively relaxing & not wishing an international shipment to arrive any quicker. (Actual Japanese Suribachi Bowl!)
    Somewhere last year I realized I'd crossed the line from User to Collector. No mental grief, but I'm less motivated to need to try everything. Not everything, just the things that I still haven't experienced.

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! Great choice of razor and blade. The Astra SP is one of my favorites and the only one I use on my head shave. Keep at that lather, and if you need tips I know there are people here who will be jumping up and down to help! Here's to a great month!

txskimo, Screwtape, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Crawfish Étouffée

• 1/4 cup butter
    • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup chopped celery
    • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
    • 1 cup chicken broth
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
    • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot)
    • 1 pound cooked Louisiana crawfish tail meat
    • hot cooked rice, as needed
    In a heavy Dutch oven, melt the butter and then stir in the flour. Cook and stir constantly over low heat for about 20 minutes, until mixture is a caramel-colored roux. Add the celery, pepper, and onions; stir until coated.

Add the broth, water, parsley, tomato paste, bay leaf, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Creole seasoning, and cayenne. Stir the pot well to make sure that the roux is well incorporated and there are no lumps.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Add crawfish and heat through. Serve over rice.

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Feb 1 shave:

I decided to stay with the brush focus, I will use a brush for four days with different soap/creams and conditions. This will also allow to do a vinegar soak to clean the brush after 4 uses.

Today's shave is day 1 for a M&F Blonde Badger. To go with the Feb theme I used my Futur and fresh Super Iridium blade. The software was MdC fougère. MdC works with any brush so it is not a hard test, the brush made plenty of good smelling lather. 3 passes wide open and then down to 4 for the final ATG pass. The final verdict was a long lasting BBS but some light irritation.

Irritation A- Closeness A+

No pic Wednesday.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Isn't the wide open Futur basically a straight razor on a handle?

6. Keithmax

Not really, it's more like a R41 or Ikon Tech but not quiet as aggressive. I find shaving with an aggressive DE and straight yield similar results but have a very different feel.

You can spin a DE, but a bad idea with a straight.

I use just one hand when shaving with a DE but both when shaving with straight.

One thing that is similar is that you can adjust aggressiveness mid stroke by slightly changing the angle.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That looks fantastic. I'll give it a try. I might have to substitute shrimp until I can get some crayfish. Thank you!

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sorry Neal. I don't think the little fellas would have enjoyed or survived the trip. I did place the #195 in a damaged more or less correct vintage display box and dropped in a Gillette blade tuck. No guarantees about the usability of the blades.
    While driving around today I noticed crawfish chimneys in many yards. The cool weather has all but stopped grass from growing. As the mudbugs tunnel underground they pile up the wet dirt into these ankle twisting clods.
    crawfish chimney.jpg

Thank you for the reminder Keith. I've been neglecting this bit of maintenance and I'm hoping all my old brushes will be new again! White vinegar, and do you dilute with water, hot or cold?

9. Keithmax

I dilute it with warm water and let it soak for 5 minutes or so. I'm using apple vinegar and it's about 10-20% vinager.

RyX, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Did you take that in my yard?!?

NCoxSTL, RyX, Drygulch and 3 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Welcome to the thread!

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture nice brush Mark. :happy088:

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Okay now I'm hungry.

RyX, SharptoothC, Drygulch and 4 others like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I used my Gillette razors last month so I'll go ATG.
    Will use Personna Tungsten Steel blades in my Timeless OC until I can't use it any more. Some say they get many shaves from this blade. When I finish with Tungsten blade I'll switch to a Kia SE blade in my SE razors. I'll use soaps and brushes for a week focusing on El Druida brushes.
    I also have a few handles I will interchange thought out the focus.
    Good luck to all.

Attached Files:

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

February 1, 2017
    Timeless OC .95 Gap
    Feather (2)
    WDC-6 with Sunrise Synthetic
    Route 66 Rum Runner

[​IMG]

I am using the Timeless OC, WDC-6 and Rum Runner for the remainder of the week. After spending the month with the Timeless OC great shaves are nearly on auto pilot. I finished up the shave with a splash of Captain's Choice Bay Rum. I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Wait a sec!!! You sent Neal a tuck of vintage blades of unknown usability???!!!! What were you thinking, man?

Don't forget that we're talking about the man who took on both the Junjie razor and the Tian Fu "disobedient" blade at the same time.

Oh, boy.... this year's MayHEM just got interesting...

wristwatchb, Keithmax, RyX and 8 others like this.
  18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Welcome aboard gentlemen. Jokers to the right, clowns to the left. All are clean shaven and have pretty good advice to offer. Glad you joined us.

Keithmax, NCoxSTL, RyX and 7 others like this.
  19. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Dude.
    IMG_5620.JPG

20. Norcalnewb

IMG_4904.JPG

February 1 SOTD:

Razorock Plissoft Brush
    La Toja Shave Stick
    Gillette SS
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman AS

About the only thing to report on today's shave is that on day one of my Futur Focus, I used my Superspeed. How is that for focus? All in all a very good shave this morning. I hope everyone has a great day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.