February 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 30, 2017.

?

What razor or razors are you planning on using this month?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2017.
  1. Fatboy baby! All the way!!

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Gillette Slim

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Gillette Black Beauty

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. Merkur Futur

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Other Adjustable

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. Shavette

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  7. Straight

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  8. I'll figure it out when I wake up everyday

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  9. I'm eating cookies - you all can worry about the razors.

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

L & L Cure et Épices Soap
    Doug Korn Brush
    Kikuboshi Razor
    Lucky Tiger
    L & L Cure et Épices AS
    Happy Wednesday!
    [​IMG]
    After a month of Route 66, I feel like I'm being unfaithful

2. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I will watch that tonight. I haven't tried daily shaving again since my neck was a mess. Typically, if I only shave every other day I don't get the irritation. I do plan on trying it again this month.

txskimo, NCoxSTL, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Feb 1, 2017

PSO- My own
    '54 40s Super Speed w Voshkod (1)
    Tcheon Fung Sing Maestro Miche
    WD High Mountain Badger, 24mm
    Thayers Unscented

Focus is on using my first vintages with a few different blades/soaps. Sorry, no photo this morning
    This was my first shave with a vintage of any kind, and I realize that I have a lot of work to do technique-wise. Not only my first vintage, but also my first TTO. I found the razor really mild, and it took me 3 passes plus touch up to get to a (barely) DFS. Have to do some angle work with this for sure. I rarely get any significant irritation with a Voshkod, so I thought it was a good place to start. Did not get any irritation. I usually do get a little neck redness, so I go XTG both ways on my neck and never fully ATG. Will use the blade for its regular 3-4 shaves, and then switch to an Astra SP for the same, then to Polsilver SI.
    Went with the TFS soap as it is one of my regulars. Will also use Stirling Gentleman (and maybe a few samples as well) and Soap Commander Endurance (wife's fave, actually) as the rotation for this focus. Will start out with the WD brush for a few days and then switch to a few new brushes with handles I've turned.
    Have a great day all!

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

yes....getting it work with the right blade. I replaced the Astra Superior with a Wilkinson Sword, and I now wonder if I should have done that. I have other Astras, with which I had somewhat better action. Of course, I'd like them ALL to work. It's a great razor. Oh, and thanks for getting me included here!!

txskimo, mrchick, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  5. Paul Turner

this baby has it all!!!(your soap).

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Naw, grabbed off Goggle Images from someones blog. The average elevation where I live in town is a bit higher. Guess that's why they built the town here? As you get further out we're about 14 feet above sea level. If I dig a hole this morning, I'd need to bail it out afternoon. S.E. Texas all the way past Houston is pretty much the same biome.

If anyone is experienced enough to make a usability determination, it would be our intrepid, fearless, unafraid, undaunted, unflinching, unshrinking, bold, daring, gallant, audacious, adventurous, heroic, dynamic, spirited, indomitable, brave, courageous, valiant, valorous, stouthearted, stalwart, plucky, gutsy, spunky leader Neal.

Good brush, Sir! It's not fancy. More like the handle of a baton or truncheon; all business in any color you like as long as it's black. When that new knot softens up you may be tempted to get a fresh one just to enjoy the scrubby scritchiness.

I've tried to find production numbers for Gillette's many models. No ones sharing the secrets. As to the number of Fat Boys kicking around my location it may be related to that Prudhomme guy and Chris @cmorris357 's recipe here.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I like the idea of alternative tallow sources. From L&L's site;

"It is a blend of leather, tobacco flower, cedar, anise, oakmoss, and patchouli."

It all sounds good, but for the anise. I'm not a black licorice fan.
    Is it noticeable amongst the other scents?

Keithmax, mrchick, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

That Doug Korn is magnificent, Brian!

mrchick, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs021: picture Adam.

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Nice setup Troy. :happy096:

Troy M, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  11. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

s
    It's good to be the king. Well, czar or whatever.

Screwtape, mrchick, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  12. mrchick

I'm not a fan of licorice either and am not picking that up.

13. mrchick

Thank you!

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Another month of shavettes.... (Shave 37)

[​IMG]

-Kai Captain Folder
    -Flashy FinWrks w/TGN Finest
    -Haslinger Sage
    -British Sterling

Another nothing to report shave. Did my three passes, and am sitting comfortably on the DFS side of the line. The Kai is so comfortable in the hand, it really makes going after difficult little clean up spots feel like second nature.

Haslinger is a soap that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention here, but it is fantastic soap. For me, it falls into that top tier category where you really just can't get any better performance. Their scents are light, too light in my opinion, but to some that is probably a plus. The small two ounce pucks are kind of nice, because you can actually finish one once in a while.

Here is to a great new month. Have a good evening.

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome Paul. Good to have you along. Been neglecting the Cavalcade, but evenings have been busy. Hope to get back to it by Friday. Just in time for SB LI!

16. Paul Turner

SBLl? Oh, right, that thing. I'll go by your commentary on it until it looks like the Pats are losing. But as for the Focus-thanks :). Question. I see a lot of people doing their SOTD's in here. Are these the ones who comment on them afterwards, as opposed to just listing them (in the SOTD thread)?

NCoxSTL, mrchick, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Clint!

18. Paul Turner

No licorish fan here either

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thanks, Mark!

20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

pics and discussion, and shenanigans

mrchick, clint64, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.