Fedoras, Pork Pies, Trilbys, What is Your Favorite Hat?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Bird Lives, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Hat-Jack and in hat box if you arn't wearing it for a while....
    image.jpg image.jpg
    I do use my hat tree most the time for my current rotation...
    image.jpg
    Of course here it is being used by our Halloween guest...But this tree will hang 4 hats and as long as it's not right next to the heat...They keep their shape just fine....I stab a tennis ball or lay a face towel over the ends of the hat pegs to protect the felts...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. Bird Lives

Went hiking with my wife last week....This is my Lock & Co
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

RaZorBurn123 and PickledNorthern like this.
  3. Bird Lives

I picked up my Blue Borsalino from Black Sheep Hatters today...This was my first Fedora, I got many years ago. This one was made about the time I was born. It got a hole in the pinch, the onion skin on the liner disintergrated, the brim was starting to tear off in a place and it had shrunk a full size too small, and it needed a new sweat band...

Whew! Sounds like time to "hang it up" and "retire it"... But I've seen so many photos of old hats that Bob Jesse has refurbed and made like new, so I went by and dropped it off a few months ago...

This guy is one of the most gifted hatters alive....Check out out the photos and let me know what you think of his work with my 'baby'...my birth-time Blue Borsalino: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Anyone who knows what this Irish tweed pattern is called? Too light to be "salt and pepper", I guess. Thanks! :)

[​IMG]

5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You and Clint were rocking the same facial hair on that day!

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Really, nobody? Guess I have to ask on a British or Irish forum then.

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Latest acquisition...
    IMG_9408.jpg

8. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

This is the best hat in the world (IMO).
    1428964276345.jpg The Stetson 'Open Road'.

9. RetLEO-07

Didn't the Raylan Givens character in "Justified" wear that model?

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

On a recommendation from Chris @Bama Samurai I found a local shop that carries Kangol. He's up in chilly Colorado so I appreciate the wool/ silk lined winter version he prefers. I'm on the South Coast where snow happens every three or four years. I chose a lighter weight vented Model 504. My Lady Friend suggests I wear more blue as it highlights my hazel eyes.
    Kangol 504.gif Kangol 504 sky blue.gif

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's perfect!

PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

In the Southern USA that is called "Herringbone"

PickledNorthern likes this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Thanks! But isn't Herringbone a different weave?

I'll ask on TSR, to tap into the collective knowledge of our British shaving friends :)

PickledNorthern likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

[​IMG]
    Wool 575 Kangol

Primotenore, PickledNorthern and RyX like this.
  15. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Hi. Only just picked this up. Yes, you are quite correct. Also, LBJ was fond of them too.

PickledNorthern and RetLEO-07 like this.
  16. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Irish tweed is commonly called Donegal from the center of production. Any pattern name is whim or advertising myth like scottish clan tartans or the nonsense about Aran sweaters woven to I.D. dead bodies AKA floaters in the Coast Guard. I can assure you, from experience a sweater on a floater will be in equally bad shape and you cannot make out rapsberry vines.
    I had an Akubra from David Morgan up in Seattle while active in my avocation of Archaeology. I wore it with an old service leather flight jacket and appeared
    on L.A. news excavating a prominent site. A year later Indiana Jones and I had to retire both and have heard no end to claimants of wearing the hat that inspired Spielburg. When I worked the mule concession at Grand Canyon my headgear was a black felt in the Arizona Puncher pattern and I loath the Quarterhorse crease. Cowboys NEVER call their hat a cowboy hat.
    My only hat for now is a spanish Boina and people try talking to me in bad french. Ron Greer up in Seattle sells the finest in the world.
    'Outfits' are just another sign of men ignorant of the cardinal rule ' never LOOK like you thought about your clothing.'
    I will sign off with an old SMOTHERS BROTHERS song.
    "I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy
    I see by your oufit that you're a cowboy too
    We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys
    If you get an outfit you can be a cowboy too."

17. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Addendum: Cowboys NEVER leave a hat on their bunk, being a sign of the wearer's death and bad luck. The quickest way to go on the prod is to touch or knock off another man's hat, dating back to all that raising the visor to show yourself and gripping swordhands leading to military salute and handshake.
    I personally cannot stomach baseball caps. I am not a ball player and on visits to the V.A. seeing my fellow vets in chicom made USMC, vietnam vet proud of it or 5th clerical mobile command makes me cringe. I remember the day I put on civilan clothing permanently and I ain't 18 anymore.

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.
  18. RetLEO-07

While I understand your aversion to ballcaps, Stetsons, Resistols et al would be a no go here in the Great Garden State. I haven't been in cowboy country in a while. The last time, I walked in a bar and out of the probably 150-200 people, I was the only one bareheaded. Walked up to the bar to try and get a drink. The bartender took one look and said "You ain't from around here are ya boy?" Looked him dead in the eye and said, " No ___t Sherlock, what gave you your first clue?" The bouncer was very nice about the whole thing.

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

[​IMG]

This time of year, Filson Tin Cloth waterfowler. It's very warm, waterproof, and when it's folded down it makes a perfect hardhat liner.

20. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Soccer mom pulled into a ranch I was working at. Her daughter wanted riding lessons. She looked at my western togs and burst out laughing. 'I asked what was so funny? YOU! You look like John Wayne.' I took some offense being a Randolph Scott fan. I replied 'So, when you lock the door after little Selby here is in bed does your husband laugh at you; dressing like
    Pam Anderson?

RyX and RetLEO-07 like this.