Feeling like a dope after passing up on Schick Injectors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Sanity Removed, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Shaved for the first time with a Schick Injector Type G yesterday. Wow, what a nice shave. After searching for blades all over town and coming up empty I thought that was going to be the end of the let down. No siree, the bigger let down came after the shave. That was when I realized that I had missed out on not only a whole lot of great shaves but also on some great razors that had been available to me on the store shelves for over 20 years. I can hear Fred G. Sanford saying, "Big Dummy" right now.

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Welcome to the club of Injector users. Join the party.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/injector-se-party.23113/

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Nah, by shaving over 20 years with cartridges you appreciate the Injectors more! ;)

I had the same model once and only got good shaves out of it. Only thing was: it was to light for me. Glad you enjoy it!

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The G is the sports car of injector razors. Love it. Welcome to the club.

Boojum1, Sanity Removed and macaronus like this.
  5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Welcome to the Sharp Side of SE shaving!

6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

I am a G-Man.

7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Wait until you try an I. For me they're even better than the G's. You may have to order blades but the current production Schicks are really good. I just put my 7th shave on one this morning and it feels as good (maybe better) than the first.

8. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Love my E3! Welcome to the injector party!

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ok, I must admit I've been intrigued by injectors for some time.

If I wanted to to try out a vintage one and wanted a really good one - that I can get blades for - which model/version would be my best bet assuming that I wouldn't want to pay more than, say $40-50 for one in nice condition?

10. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Anything I type or later you can't go wrong with.

Darkbulb, Boojum1 and GDCarrington like this.
  11. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

You can get a Schick in good shape for a lot less than those numbers. The I and G models are popular, but IMHO grab just about any of the Schick Injectors you can find. They're all good shavers, though some are more aggressive than others, they all take the same blade, and all are well worth a try.

Darkbulb and macaronus like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Thanks!

13. Streambrewer

Streambrewer Active Member

You would be hard pressed to pay more than $10 for one on eBay. A mint condition type e with case, tool, instructions, and blades goes for about $25-30. Good luck!

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I type or J type with the longer handles are great candidates. If you find a Type J with the Hydro-Magic mechanism, even better. If the Slim did not exist, it would be my "go to razor" because it gives me great shaves.
    Type M adjustables are really good as well but you will tend to pay a little more to find a good condition one.

Do not be put off buying the current Schicks made in China. They are really good blades. Schick is holding the quality control on them very well and I get anywhere from 7 to 10 shaves from each blade.

Join the party.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/injector-se-party.23113/

Darkbulb and Boojum1 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For me, injectors (depending on the blade) will give consistently better shaves than a DE, but they're so straightforward and efficient it sucks some of the fun out of shaving. SE/DE shaves require a little bit of art...injector shaving is very straightforward...dare I say, a bit boring. But I respect them highly and will never part with my Hydro-Magic, my only remaining injector. I try to use it every few weeks.

YMMV

BigMark likes this.
  16. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Yeah it's a decent shaver.

I PIFd mine last year and am going to replace it with a white handle one soon. Gotta have it for the collection.

17. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I have my first SE shave planned for next week with a Bullet Tip I won in a PIF recently. I'm intrigued by the injectors for head shaving but I've gotten the impression that the blades are a pain to get.

18. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Schicks made in China are really good blades and are plentiful. Personna blades are available under the Personna brand, Barber brand and Ted Pella.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...jector+blades&sprefix=schick+injector,aps,266

Do not concern yourself with the Feathers, they are for different razors altogether.

youngunn likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

youngunn and GDCarrington like this.
  20. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I've never tried an injector, but would like to.

youngunn and GDCarrington like this.