Few days growth . Burn areas PICS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hoss304, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

Capture+_2017-06-02-21-48-12.png Capture+_2017-06-02-21-49-30.png Here's where I get ate up on my neck. Figured I'd snap a pic of the disaster areas pre shave and follow up with post shave burn. I'll probably shave this weekend. Im battling a sunburn lol .

2. Hoss304

Well this is about 5 days now that I think about it . I get a good 2 or 3 day burn usually .

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

3. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

Do you mean, when you shave those are the areas where you get razor burn?

Hoss304 likes this.
  4. Hoss304

Yes . That is both sides of my neck .

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

What is your setup? Razor, blade choice, soap/cream, etc?

6. Hoss304

I get it with any razor , soap or cream . Currently it's a Feather Popular and feather blade . Either Nivea Sensitive gel or I've been trying Van Der Hagen soap . Cheap generic brush . I'm a newbie to DE but I've been wet (mach 3) shaving for years .

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Your not following the contours of your face. When your shaving you are responsible to maintain the angle as the razor travels over your face. Your either causing the burn by using pressure over the cheekbone, or not compensating and scraping area.
    Use very little pressure and watch the angle. A presentable shave should be your goal until you learn not to reek havoc on your face.
    Prep well, letting yourself heal is good, but it makes longer stubble to contend with. Prep (lots of water) well before trying again.
    Feel your way over the curve of the jaw. The spots were bone is closer to the surface is where your causing issues. Along your jawline, feel the edge of the blade. Remove all distractions including running water and if possible fan noise.

Hairy Alaskan and dbersh like this.
  8. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Those can be tough spots to keep the head angle correct and pressure to a minimum. Unfortunately practice, and getting your technique down are the only real cures. Providing the blade you are using works well on the other areas.
    Probably not the answer you were looking for.
    Those areas for me is my gauge to when I need to change my blade out. A dull balde with proper angle won't give me the results I look for in a shave. But I only know that by my technique, I had to learn not to apply more pressure to get a closer shave when I started.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  9. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

In those areas, you can see where the hair is growing in different directions. Are you truly shaving with the grain in those areas? If not, changing your direction in those areas could help. REGARDLESS, what do you put on POST shave? If nothing, I would start rubbing in coconut oil once you've cleaned the soap off your face. That should help quite a bit.

Just my .02.

Kurios1 likes this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Also try another blade other than feather.
    An astra may be more (forgivable) they're all sharp but some may be a bit harshly so.

11. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Yea, we need to know your setup and we can better help. It may be anything though. I get real bad "razor burn" if I use sandalwood products. It may be angle of attack. I shave my jaw line best from ear to mouth along the jaw line. If I go top of cheek to bottom of neck the angles change too much and it's hard to keep that nice angle. Also small strokes. Postage stamp size. Big sweeping passes can mess up the angle.

A corse beard hair and soft skin. I also get razor burn if I go more than a couple days without shaving. Shaving makes shaving easier. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. Hoss304

My newest post shave routine is witch hazel then Nivea balm and or Clubman pinaud . I try my best to go with the grain in these areas . Seems no matter how much effort I give it I can't beat the burn .

13. McHale

McHale Well-Known Member

I've never used the balm and I would say skip the Clubman for now. Immediately after I shave I rub in a 50/50 mix of coconut oil and witch hazel. I only put on Clubman if I'm going out. I skip it if I'm staying in.

If you don't have any, I'd pick up a container of coconut oil and JUST try that in those areas. It should help considerably while you work on eliminating the burn.

14. Hoss304

I do have coconut oil . My gal believes it's a miracle potion . I have used it as shaving cream and aftershave lol . A guy on Facebook suggested it to me . I have even mapped my growth patterns . I've tried it all . It's what lead me to DE .

15. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Witch hazel, Nivea balm and Clubman. That may be your problem. Too many things going on. Try shaving. Wipe dry and wait a few minutes before applying a little witch hazel. Try that for a week or so. KISS...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16. Hoss304

I have a variety of aftershave / balm options . I've used it all over the years . I tried a alum block last shave . It's just these two areas on my neck that are super sensitive. Red after the shave then I get bumps for a few days .

17. Hoss304

This isn't my jaw line . Sorry for the pics . It's hard to figure out how to post pics on here . This is at the bottom of my neck on the sides . I have to crop and adjust pics to get them to work on here

18. Hoss304

This should be better pics . Capture+_2017-06-02-23-51-44.png Capture+_2017-06-02-23-52-22.png Capture+_2017-06-02-23-57-33.png

19. Hoss304

I can't grow a beard . This is on my "neck beard" area lol . You can probably see from pics why I have to shave . A few days and I look like a hobo .

20. Hoss304

Found this from a older post ... 20170526_132941.jpg that's a few days after a shave . I'll get a pic of it in all it's glory next shave . Generally I shave then by next day I'm broke out like that both sides. On that side it's basically from the mole down .