Fine AS

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by CrawdaddyKy, Mar 6, 2018.

1. CrawdaddyKy

CrawdaddyKy New Member

I began wet shaving approximately three months ago and have seen Fine After Shave here and there. What is the general consensus with their products. Their prices run about what every average AS goes for. Wanted to see what everyone’s experiences where. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR41 and Jorvaljr like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Have and love to use Fine L'Orange Noir (smells like Terre d'Hermes) and Fine Platinum (smells like Creed Aventus). I'd buy either one again when I use them up.

AS cost per use is very low if you consider how long a bottle lasts. As such, I wouldn't worry about cost. I'd just get what I like and use it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Paul Turner and Jorvaljr like this.
  3. CrawdaddyKy

CrawdaddyKy New Member

Thank you for the comparisons on each of the scents. I would have never known. Have you had the American Blend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks! No, I haven't used any of Fine's other scents. You can check their website for scent descriptions, though. I know others here have used it, and I'm sure they will be along soon with the their thoughts.

Seeing your screen name, do you live in Kentucky? I live in the Louisville area.

If you live near Louisville, here is a locally-made AS you can try: https://squareup.com/store/derbycitychopshop/item/small-batch-shave-tonic
    It gets some pretty good reviews from users of Bay Rum aftershaves. Not sure, this may smell too much like an old man for you. :) It's frequently out of stock, but if you check with the folks at the shop, they can usually estimate when they will have another batch available. I've used it, and I like it.

Good luck, and I hope you find some aftershaves that you enjoy using.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Paul Turner likes this.
  5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

It’s hard to go wrong with Fine, just pick a scent you like. They all have menthol in them I believe; Maggard’s sells samples. Welcome aboard!

Terry Williams likes this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Welcome aboard. I haven’t personally owned any of the fine products but it’s on my wishlist. I have smelled them in person and they seem to me that they are made well and they smell fantastic. Once I dwindle down my soap stock those are on my buy list.. lol I’ll wont get to them for a couple of years.

MR41 likes this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have and it’s a more traditional scent, but it is very good.

8. brit

brit in a box

i have fine l orange noir,american blend ,platinum and santal absolut. love them ,great stuff....

9. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

+1 on Maggards Samples. That is one of the best places to go it you don't want to commit to a whole bottle.

I use Fine American Blend. It is a modern spin on a traditional barbershop scent. "Traditional," in the sense that it is a "barbershop" scent that is supposed to evoke the memory of a barbershop. Pinaud Clubman is a scent that, I think, is the epitome of a barbershop scent. But, Fine, Mickey-Lee, Maggard's, Wet Shaving Products, Stirling, all have a barbershop soap and aftershave that would be similar and more "modern" than Clubman. Most have modifiers. Some are more powdery, some more citrusy, some more floral. All are a little different, but have the same notes: talcum powder, citrus, lavender, bergamot, maybe a little sandalwood, maybe a little leather or tobacco. Good article here: https://sharpologist.com/2016/12/what-is-a-barbershop-scent.html

Anyway, I think you can go to Maggard's and get a bunch of samples for the price of one bottle of something and try them out. You can have fun testing them out on your significant other (which, is mostly how I go about figuring out what to splash on).

Welcome. We're here to enable you... :)

Paul Turner, jeraldgordon and MR41 like this.
  10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have the Snakebite, and have to add several drops of glycerin to the bottle. I do this because it doesn't contain any moisturizing additives. It works great this way.

jeraldgordon and Terry Williams like this.
  11. CrawdaddyKy

CrawdaddyKy New Member

Thanks for all the input. I believe I will go the Maggard’s route. Can’t go wrong with samples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I've tried Fine aftershave products but prefer others such as Chatillon Lux (CL) and Stirling. CL and Stirling have some skin healing ingredients where as Fine aftershaves really have none. If all you are looking for after the shave is scent then Fine is ok. On the other hand, if you are looking for skin healing properties as well as scent then I feel you can do better then Fine products.

13. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I have most of of Fine lineup, and only use them as a light perfume. As previously mentioned, other companies like Stirling include healing and conditioning ingredients and at a better price per ounce.

I personally prefer the aftershaves from RazoRock if looking for something in the same class as Fine. They’re much stronger and longer lasting and also less expensive. I won’t be replacing any of my Fine AS as they’re used up.

john zeiger likes this.
  14. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I agree totally with your comments on Stirling A/S's. I haven't yet tried RazoRock. i'll have to put them on my list to try. Thank you for the suggestion.

15. jeff fugate

jeff fugate Member

I like razorock, and it is usually very reasonable price wise.

16. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

Razorock's American Barber is quite similar to Fine's American Blend, and at least of equal quality, at about one half the price.

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

This is only my opinion and only matters in the 6 inches between my ears. That said I feel everything Fine sells is overpriced, but I'm CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP like a little bird. My favorites in AS are: (in no particular order)

Florida Water
    AV
    Pinaud Clubman
    Old Spice
    Avon Leather
    English Leather
    AV Musk
    Pinaud Lime Sec and Lime Musk
    Avon Island Lime

But my absolute favorite is Pinaud Special Reserve!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Fine Fresh Vetiver: When you first apply this great aftershave the Vetiver's fresh scent is there and then a nice mild burning effect from the alcohol and then a cooling effect from the methanol while the whole time the unique souring scent(that is what comes to mind) is clinging to the skin.:love029:
    I bought this one from a youtube recommendation "Nick Shaves" who also uses it and he enjoys Vetiver.
    Cost:$20.00
    Scent strength: 4/10 that is not strong but has some staying strength 3-5hrs but enjoyable for myself.
    Reactions: No complaints from folks around me and of course the wife, I think she likes this one. There is the first minute a mild alcohol stinging burn that some like and then a slightly cooling effect (Menthonal) that you do not get with most Aftershaves that is really unique IMO (Warm To Cool). Skin had no irritations and looking forward to using this great treat of a aftershave splash.
    [​IMG]

19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have American Blend, Lavender, and Platinum in the aftershaves from Fine. I like all three but would characterize American Blend as my favorite scent in wet shaving products. I use it every Friday. However, the new iterations of the splashes that bumped up to $20 per bottle seem to be weaker in scent than the previous generation. So I'm on the lookout for any old bottles of American Blend I can find to try and stock up.

I'm going to get the RazoRock American Barber as soon as it comes back in stock and give it a whirl.

The Fine splashes have minimal ingredients and deliver a nice menthol touch with good face feel. They are certainly quality aftershaves.

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Fine's prices did go up a bit from original. But then so did those of Wet Shaving Products. I hope this isn't the beginning of a pattern.

Enrico likes this.