First Attempt w/Baking Soda

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mvd, Feb 8, 2018.

1. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Well, after much reading, I thought I would give the baking soda trick a try.

Here is the before pic of a 1906-1910-ish Canadian Single Ring:

P2030439-2.jpg

Three baths later and some Flitz:

P2080437-2.jpg

P2080438-2.jpg

P2080439-2.jpg

The serial no is "C 96122," and, wow, check out that one wonky tooth. I guess after 100 years bad teeth can happen to anyone. What doesn't show up well in these photos is that there is a lot of "brass" colour still on the handle. Is this where the silver plating has worn away to the nickel or does it just need a better polishing?

I was a bit nervous doing this for the first time, so if there is anyone else out there like me who isn't sure, I'd suggest giving it a try (with silver plate only). It was easier than I thought and worked fairly well. I boiled two cups / 500ml water in a kettle and added it to a foil lined glass pyrex dish with two tbsp baking soda and the razor already in it.

The darkened patina does look good to my mind, but I am also happy at how clean it now is. I recall having a USA Single Ring stashed away somewhere, so I still have one with the patina.

I have since washed, dried, and put away the dishes used in case I am prosecuted for misuse of kitchenware in the home.

Cheers,
    mvd

2. Terry Williams

Terry Williams Well-Known Member

Find yourself a pair of needle-nosed pliers without teeth (craft stores have them for jewelry). Put a small patch of electrical tape around the wonky tooth and use the pliers to gently bend the tooth back to straight. Then, good as new can be for 100+ year old razor.

mvd likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

nice job..........

mvd likes this.
  4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

With those, there isn't any nickel plating. It's silver plating on copper on brass, or possibly just silver plating on brass.

mvd likes this.
  5. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

For those trying this, 'washing soda' works better than baking soda. You can buy it in the pool supply sections as 'soda ash'. Sodium carbonate, rather than bicarbonate of soda. It's _cheap_.

6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That is most excellent!

7. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

What a great looking old razor! Nice cleaning job. I'm a vintage razor lover, and Ive yet to see a modern razor that is as pretty as the old, classic lines.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just my 2 cents. I have restored many many silver plated razors, several just like yours. I even use Flitz on many razors, just not on silver plated ones. Flitz is too abrasive, as is Baking soda, unless the baking soda is just used in a bath. For my silver plated razors, I use a specific "Silver Cleaner", namely "Goddards". This is gentle, and doesn't wear off the plating, which is very thin.
    Just use an old toothbrush, stub the "Goddards" in all the nooks and crannies, let it sit for a couple of minutes. Apply some more, and scrub again. Then wash scrub and rinse with dish washing liquid. If the plating is very heavy(black), with silver tarnish, you might need to repeat the steps, or rub the Goddards in with a soft cloth.
    As for straightening teeth, use caution. The "Old Type" Gilletes seem more willing to bend back to shape, when only a little straightening is needed. The "New Type" Gillettes are more prone to have the teeth snap off. I know all this from experience, and talking with others, over the years.

Terry Williams likes this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'd leave it bent (as long as it didn't interfere with operation), makes it unique and adds character. Imho

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Bending the tooth back seems pretty risky. Imagine how you'll feel if it snaps off?

PickledNorthern and mvd like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is a beauty. I'd leave that tooth bent. Character, man.

mvd likes this.
  12. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Thank you for the detailed response. I have a few other silver plated razors, and will search out some non-abrasive silver polish. Hopefully Goddards is easy to find. The baking soda was just for the "bath."

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Nice work! BTW based on the serial number that razor was made in 1912! Not bad for a 106 year old razor!