First DE "KIT"

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DDuckyMark, Aug 11, 2015.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

In the WTB section of the forum @FancyRamen asked about a starting kit and it got me curious about what everyone started out with in their DE razor journey.

I started with a Gillette Super Speed from ebay for $10, My Grandfather's Old Spice shaving mug, a puck of Williams Mug shaving soap, and my Grandfather's Peerless nylon shaving brush. I got the big tryablade.com blade sampler and the first blade that fell out of it hen I opened it was a Personna Med Blue.

I tagged him in this because I'm sure this information would be as helpful as recommendations as to what to buy. If something was terrible tell us that too. If it was amazing let us know.

2. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

started my journey back in 02/2015 with:

EJ89lbl
    EJ best badger medium
    Proraso green tub
    TSD blade sampler

very soon after, i added a shavex alum block. after a few weeks, i added some DIY PSO and post-shave witch hazel.

i stayed with that setup (and different blades, of course) for the first four months before venturing out to try some other software.

wmbjr and GDCarrington like this.
  3. DDuckyMark

I din't stick with my first setup very long. I got a fatboy maybe 3 days after that first Super speed and fell in love with its heavy chunkyness. I shave with the fatboy more then my other razors even now. I have upgraded soap, I use proraso soap tbs now. All 3 scents are nice.

hippiebrian and GDCarrington like this.
  4. gmaugie007

gmaugie007 Well-Known Member

over the past few months, i've also started four of my sons (four of five are shaving age) on the wetshaving journey with this setup:

merkur 180/23c
    top 10 blade sampler (times 2) from tryablade.com
    omega 10065 boar
    1/2 tub proraso green, 1/2 tub proraso red
    dad's own DIY PSO
    shavex alum block
    styptic pencil
    witch hazel

... and links to mantic59, geofatboy, and other shaving basics videos

edit: (and not just because @GDCarrington liked this post) ... but it did remind me, and how could i forget?!?! while it's not hardware or software, i also included in my sons' kits the ways of the force ... proper angle, no pressure, and details of the 30 day rule and 30 day focus !

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    wmbjr, hippiebrian and GDCarrington like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Vintage Gillette '67 super speed
    Van Der Hagen shave brush
    Wilkinson Sword DE blades
    & Maca Root Shave Cream from the Body Shop.

All in all, not a bad kit to start out with. If I had to do it over, the only thing I would change is the brush.

wmbjr and hippiebrian like this.
  6. DDuckyMark

I have forgotten to mention a jumbo styptic pencil and a bottle of Nivea sensitive post shave balm. I also had a bottle of witch hazel that I use but I have forgotten why I got it originally.

pre shave and after shave is very personalized by skin types and scents so I didn't think to add that in.

hippiebrian and GDCarrington like this.
  7. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I started with an EJ DE89, EJ best badger brush EJ apothecary bowl, TOBS sandalwood cream and Astra SP blades. Luckily the Astras worked great and I used them exclusively until I got my technique down then started trying other blades.

wmbjr, hippiebrian and GDCarrington like this.
  8. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

I started about a month ago with a VDH Tto and deluxe set, that lasted about a week when I got a 53 gillette tech ball end and and sample soaps from maggard. First blade I used was a VDH blade that came with the razor. I now have several gillette SS and a slim adjustable which is now my preferred on setting 3. My favorite blade so far is derby extra, but I'm still working through a large sample pack.

wmbjr and GDCarrington like this.
  9. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

10. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

For me, it was as follows:
    Merkur 34C
    Blade sampler
    Proraso green pre/soap/splash
    Franks' Silvertip

Did find which blades I like and tried a bunch of great razors afterwards, but it took me awhile to find out the Proraso Green didn't really agree with my face (suspect the eucalyptus) and gave me more redness than any other products I've tried. It's too bad cause I realy wanted to like Proraso!

GDCarrington and wmbjr like this.
  11. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Over 50 years ago I bought either a Fatboy or a Slim, I forgot witch for around $2, Blades were Gillette Blues, Later Wilkinson Sword, a brush, Williams soap, later VDH, and a mug my Dad gave me, Aftershave had always been Old Spice.
    Now I have many razors that I've collected New and Vintage. My go to razors are Weber PH, Gillette Slim, BB, Fatboy. Favorite Blades, Astra and Personna Israeli Reds. A number of brushes, Boar and Horse hair, Soaps are Cella Croap and VDH. Aftershave is my own mix.
    After teaching my sons and a few nephews about shaving, Each has his own need as for a kit, One likes the Merkur 34c another likes an Muhle R 41 , none use the same blade.

12. Medicdad417

Medicdad417 Well-Known Member

Have you tried any of the other porasos? Just wondering if they all have eucalyptus in them or just the green.

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. DDuckyMark

Just the green. I have all 3 of the soaps.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. cmorris357

:signs011: Except there are 4 soaps, green, red, blue, and white.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. DDuckyMark

I have green white and red didn't know there was a blue. I saw blue cream but not soap. I'll have to flex my google-fu and find some so I can try it.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. cmorris357

Ah.. I wasn't making the distinction between the soap and cream. Blue only comes in the tube as far as I know.

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. DDuckyMark

Yeah, I know its soap in a tube but in my head its cream in a tube, soap in a puck or tub. I don't even like calling things croaps. Just adds confusion.

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

Merkur 34C
    25 blade sampler from Amazon
    Omega Pure Badger Brush
    Proraso Green Shave Cream

I ended up giving away the shave cream since I thought I was having a bad reaction to the menthol, but it was really just irritation from too much pressure when shaving. I kinda miss the green cream. I could've held on to it to make chilling super lathers. Oh well.

19. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

I tried white and red and I just didn't like their scent as much as the green, but I think they worked OK for me.

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

That's funny, I love my VDH boar brush. Almost no shedding, lathers great, feels great. Maybe I got lucky with the one I got or it could be another example of the YMMV with shaving cause I definitely would not change mine.

I started a long time ago (like a month) with

VDH Deluxe kit to get bowl and brush
    Lord L6 razor from Amazon
    multiple sample blade packs from tryablade.com
    Stirling Soap samples with Glacial Lemon and MITA being the most amazing!

Have worked well so far.

GDCarrington likes this.