First DS shave today

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by aqualung, May 14, 2016.

1. aqualung

aqualung Active Member

Decided to start DS shaving today. Had a few days growth going so I was due. Used zenith boar brush, Gillette slim (set to 2) with voskhod blade, Route 66 soap and Nivea after shave balm (also used alum immediately after finishing)

I took it easy and mostly went WTG. I did go XTG in a few areas. Everything went well until I hit the neck. Got some irritation on the right side of neck. Tried mapping hair on neck but still got a little bleeding and irritation. Any advice for my next shave.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Use your new-to-you razor where you are getting best results. Sounds like WTG most every where? If your neck is irritated, grab that old cartridge razor and do your clean up pass on the difficult spots.

Best thing you might do is check out the 30 focus group. Lots of folks trying to improve their shaves. They are kind, understanding, and knowledgeable.

Give this a read, too.

Robyflexx, AGHisBBS, ob1page and 3 others like this.
  3. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

Very good advice RyX -- holding on to the old multi-blade until you get some DE time logged on the easier sections of beard. You will soon get a feel for your new gear, and gradually increase the area where the DE works well for you, leaving cleanup and the "tricky bits" for the cartridge.

I think you would be wise to view this transition as a process -- even when you're using the DE razor for the whole shave, you'll very likely find ways to enhance your technique over time. This is what keeps shaving interesting -- it's not just a chore, it's a skill that every repetition will improve.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Congrats!! I had issues with my neck until I accepted that I can't go XTG, make sure you always have soap on your face (no dry shaving)
    You may want to turn up your Slim to 4-5, and adjust on 2nd and 3rd pass, always open the silo doors when adjusting.
    Happy shaving!!
    Kerry

6. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I had the same question....

AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  7. aqualung

aqualung Active Member

Sorry. Meant DE. iPhone auto correct

8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I hate when that happens. We know what you meant.

whiteboy_cannon and AGHisBBS like this.
  9. aqualung

aqualung Active Member

I am coming from an electric. As far as the irritation, do you shave through it or allow it to heal.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  10. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Try using cold water for your next shave. It will reduce the irritation. Many find that they also get a better shave from using it but you'll have to decide for yourself. I personally use ice water for my shaves for everything except rinsing the blade.

Another big difference between DE and cartridge is that in DE you don't want to use any pressure. The weight of your Slim will be enough pressure and the Voskhod is a sharp blade that will do the job. Take a little off with each pass, don't try to take it all on 1. Good luck!

Last edited: May 15, 2016
    AGHisBBS, RyX and Robyflexx like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup. They're great for that.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It's pretty sad that the Nintendo DS is still more popular than DE shaving. :(

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's a big question with a wide range of answers. First thing to do is figure out what is causing the irritation.
    Common advice to new wet shavers is go with the grain. That is hard to do on your neck if the hair growth pattern gets all squirrely. You will see references to "Mapping" - figuring out which direction your beard grows. Skin stretching may help. If your skin is elastic enough you may pull it to flatten it out, or away from the center of your neck. Your Adams apple can be pronounced and difficult to shave. So pull the skin left or right to get it over where that swirly hair growth is easier to reduce.
    I also find that in many cases I only shave 36 - 48 hours later. Between good lather, sharp blades, & proper technique I can skip a day.
    This is all about beard reduction, not scraping off your skin.

14. aqualung

aqualung Active Member

Ok just did second shave. Went a different route and did a cold water shave along with pre shave oil (used Sara's recipe). Scrubbed face with wife's Clarisonic brush. Used ice water and rinsed off face. Applied oil then lathered up. What a difference!!! I took it easy on my neck since there was still a little bit of irritation from last shave but not one cut and no new irritation.

One question though for you cold shavers out there. I was on my 2nd use with the voskhod blade. Is it normal to get a lot of feedback while doing cold shaves? I am using a slim set to 3. Thinking of bringing to 4 and continuing to use 3 on neck until I get better in that area.

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

If by feedback you mean audible hair clipping noise, then yes.
    As to adjusting settings - It's your Shave, Enjoy it Your Way!
    What I mean is yes, adjust to a higher number each shave until you get irritation, then back down a notch. Knowing that you got a good shave on your neck, it's up to you to decide if 3 is right, but a higher number setting may be comfortable on your cheeks.
    You can document your shaves with text descriptions & photos of your gear HERE. Might give you a place to remember what works and what doesn't.

whiteboy_cannon and ob1page like this.
  16. aqualung

aqualung Active Member

Yes clipping noise. I don't remember that much feedback when I did the hot shave.

whiteboy_cannon, RyX and ob1page like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Scientific experimental method involves keeping all factors the same, but making one variable. Same razor, blade, brush, soap, BUT you tried a cold water shave. Assuming your handling of all the tools was consistent then that single variable of adjusting water temp can be evaluated.
    Everyones beard is similar, but different. Even on your face you may have thicker or thinner, wiry or wispy hair. If cold water works for you, then you are on the path to your best shave! I'm only into wet shaving since August of last year. I haven't tried everything, but I have found hardware, software, and procedures that are working for me. I could give you my play by play, but doesn't mean it would work for you. Variations, right?

whiteboy_cannon and ob1page like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Oh, to answer the feedback sound issue; Imagine having two handfuls of spaghetti. One was soaked in hot water for a couple minutes. The other splashed with cold water.
    If you chopped the hot ones - squish. But the others? Still crunchy.
    I think that explains the more noisy cold water shave.
    As you try different blades you may notice more sound, and the adjustability of the Gillette Slim changes the geometry of the blade.
    But now you have gone and introduced more than one variable. ;)

19. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Fantastic! I'm very happy it worked so well for you. Yes! It's normal because your whiskers are stiffened by the cold water and that's a good thing. They are easier to slice in this state. Sounds like this routine with the ice water and pre shave oil is a winning combo for you, stick to it and work on technique. Remember "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". :happy088:

whiteboy_cannon and RyX like this.