first modifying attempt

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bjoerge Brathagen, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Bjoerge Brathagen

Bjoerge Brathagen Well-Known Member

20170214_104327_resized.jpg
    my first attempt to modify a straight.it`s not pretty yet,but the first mission was to see if i was able to change the shape and to keep the temper in the blade.honed it after i was finish grinding and shaved.it took a wicked edge that it maintained during the shave.so that was a success.now i would have to figure out hove to make it pretty.polish out grinding marks an so on. the spot on the heel was unintentional. i might try to modify the blade more. i used a dremel tool with various cutting and grinding bitts and a sink full of very cold water.

twhite, Billyfergie, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  2. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

I tried to bring out the heel as well, I'm impressed by those who have the skill as I just made a mess of it. Time to see my knive maker friend and use his 2x72 grinder and polishing wheels.

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I've read about modifications to the GD razors which make them pretty good shavers, Is there instructions somewhere that explains the necessity modifications?

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice start. I am looking forward to updates.

6. Bjoerge Brathagen

20170216_150314_resized.jpg
    did some more work at the shape today.think the spanish point is not too bad, because of the initial accident at the heel i played a little with that.

ninjack, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Here is my foray into a GD mod. I will do more later when the mood hits me.

Have fun modifying it. They are dirt cheap, so no loss if you scrap one or two out.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

There is No Need to Modify a Gold Dollar to Hone it..I Have Honed a Few for Folks..Some Grind the Heel to Make it Easier to Get the Heel Very Forward on the Hone..There is Nothing Wrong with that But its Certainly Not Required in My Experience..Although it Can Make it Easier to Remove a Lot of Metal Fast as Most Dollars Require..:)

Billy..:chores016:

9. Bjoerge Brathagen

Have two more waiting.when the blade is finish, i will try to make new scales. Getting new skills is fun:)

10. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Very cool! It's looking good. I think I am going to try and modify my Gold Dollar. I don't use it anymore, but got some good shaves off of it. I might as well do some experimenting with it. Maybe use the wire edm machine at work to do the cutting, just to see how it comes out.

Drygulch, Karl G, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You can go crazy with that. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

12. ninjack

ninjack Well-Known Member

Will do!