First Pass Only?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Sean Coughlin, May 21, 2014.

1. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to cut down on the sensitivity on my neck - still recovering from red bumps from the electric razor & cartridges. I've figured out the hair growth direction on my neck - is it wise for me to do a first pass only WTG until these red bumps disappear? It still seems to cut pretty close - any guidance is appreciated.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

that sounds like wisdom to me.
    as long as your happy with your shave and looks presentable, stick with it, figure out what works for you.
    it sounds like you have researched the how to, all you have to do is get the mechanics down.
    patients and a light touch will get you the rest of the way
    be very regular on when you change blades, two, three, shaves. toss it.
    but try to be consistent. if your number is two toss at two every time. eliminate as many variables as you can till you get your technique down

Tattoobob likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That sounds like a great idea to me too. When you can get completely irritation free shaves going WTG, you can start trying a second pass. Red bumps are a lot more noticeable than that tiny bit of stubble you'll have left.

4. BrianMiller

BrianMiller New Member

For me, the key was absolutely no pressure on the razor head. I thought I wasn't applying pressure, but I was. Once I realized that, my neck is now smooth and bump free. It really does all come back to proper technique!

Bristle Me likes this.
  5. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

good idea, that's what I did for a while to solve the same issue. I could never really get it right with a cartridge razor, they are harder on your skin imo.

6. Sean Coughlin

Thanks for the replies everyone. I can go ATG like a champ on my cheeks - I think for now I'm going to still with a single pass below the neckline & keep working on developing technique until everything heals up a bit.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Sounds pretty sensible. BTW, what is your prep routine?

8. Sean Coughlin

Soak brush in hot water, shower, wash face w/ Neutrogena Men's Invigorating Face Wash, apply PS oil, & immediately lather up after getting out of the shower.

I've been going with this WTG pass only for a several days now & all the irritation on the neck is gone. Not sure if it was doing only the first pass or the fact that I've also started using alcohol free witch hazel in my post-shave routine. Either way, I'm pretty excited - can't remember the last time I didn't have red bumps all over the right side of my neck.

feeltheburn likes this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Good prep routine. Sounds like you are figuring this out. I am glad you are feeling better.

10. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Nice job, I'm still trying to get a better shave also. Got a little better shave today so we are heading in the right direction.

Bristle Me and Sean Coughlin like this.
  11. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Hang in there Bob!

About 6-8 months into DE, what finally got me from mostly DFS to BBS shaves was just slowing down.
    I guess it's natural for a person to speed up when they get comfortable with their shaving gear.
    Well, I had gotten much too comfortable and I was going much too fast.
    I don't know why, but early one morning I watched this again.

Good ol' Mantic.

It's as they say, "one will never catch the baby by chasing."
    Rather, it's a slow and steady pace that gets the job done.

Happy shaving everybody!! :bounce017:

Tattoobob likes this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It took me around 5-6 months before I figured out what works best for me. Now I'm irritation free!

Tattoobob likes this.
  13. theunnamed

theunnamed Well-Known Member

I think the first pass should always be WTG. Later XTG and ATG would be your choice. I personally don't pass ATG, coz I don't need such BBS.

14. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Went from crystal to persona blue silver yesterday, not impressed but going to stick with them for a while. Still working on my lather, and o I forgot to use my pre shave balm which does help me. And I only shave 2 times a week, I will start shaving every other day so I can get more experience in. I am sure that will help. Patience and Practice. In a world that wants everything done yesterday and fast, shaving with my DE help me to slow down and enjoy what I'm doing, and man do I smell great.

dscaver, Adonis and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You couldn't have written it better. "And man do I smell great"

16. Pop Pops Razor

Pop Pops Razor Active Member

Slowing down is the best thing I did!
    Now I can use my Merkur Progress on setting 6 , do a three pass and get no burn.