First REAL Shave

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Harry_Thabombshelter, Mar 3, 2009.

1. So, this morning I had my first REAL shave. I've been using a Mug and Brush (Porter's Badger Brush with Col Conks Bay Rum) since christmas with my Mach 3, but I was finally able to put my shiny "new" Gillette SS to use.

I ordered a blade sampler pack (I'm dying to try some Derbys) from Razor and Brush, but they haven't arrived in the mail yet, so I braved the wilds of Wal-Mart to pick up some Personnas yesterday. I watched all of Mantic's videos (many many MANY thanks) and took my first downward pass.

It was SO EASY! Two passes and I only barely nicked the underside of my chin at the very end of my shave. I think this is one of the best shaves I've had in a LONG time, and it was only my first! I know it'll only get better from here!

I do have one question though: How do you make your second batch of lather? I tried to just add a bit more soap and a bit more water to my already soapy brush, but the lather was crap. I ended up rinsing everything and starting from scratch for my second pass. Is this the best way?

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Great start to the Shaves,.. You should make enough lather to start with to finish the shave. Enjoy getting better and better shaves.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Sounds great, and you're right it does get better!

I typically try to make enough lather for three passes in one go.

4. I guess I'm confused as to how to make MORE lather. I'll have to post pics of my set up tomorrow, because I don't have a ton of lather left after one pass, but I'm not sure my mug can hold much more lather.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I face lather. I make enough for 3 passes + a touch up if need be with about an almond sized drop of cream. I used to have problems making huge amounts of lather with glycerine soap when I fist started with a boar brush. I got a badger brush and all was well.

6. kevtex

kevtex Member

Try to load more soap into the brush center and add water as needed to create a good lather. I usually give about 20 swirls on the soap with the brush and add small amounts of hot water to the center of the brush as I face lather.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Also you do not need 6 inches of lather on the face. A good slick coating is all that is required for good shaving

8. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Congrats on the good shave. As far as the lather goes, use a bowl or face lather so have room for more lather and really load the brush heavily with soap. More than mantic shows in his videos.

9. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

its not a real shave until its with a gem.

:transport022

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

can I get an AMEN on that one :D

11. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

No. :prrr

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:prrr right back at ya Dark:D

13. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Congrats! The wally world personnas aren't bad blades. A good choice to start with and I still use them.

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Congrats, and I see that it has been answered.. Just make a lot to start with. Seriously, if I find my lather is getting thin on later passes, I just load the brush back on the soap for a few seconds.