First ride with a SE

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Will, May 9, 2009.

1. Will

Will Nevermind

So I got a 1912 out of a Trix cereal box (silly wabbit) and had my first go with it (I know cheating on my HD).

Here is how it went.

1. Razor was older and wiser with some sun spots and wrinkles but she has spunk and a nice smile.

2. The head is bent (well... tilted) a little, I take it this is not normal but if it is let me know.

3. Took some getting used too but the shave went fine, close and no irritation (after the shave).

4. During the shave I noted a little irritation, and tugging. Not a very smooth shave and I write it off as my first time and probably did not have the angle or the blade dose not work for me. It did feel like a blade issue.

5. Let the razor and blade air dry like always and the blade got a little rusty, not the shaving part but the body. Just kind of weird.

6. Where can a fella buy other blades for this? Sample pack or something.

Thanks for your help.

2. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Find some Pella blades that are stainless and sharp enough to shave with. Superbleu may have some left from our last little group buy. I happen to know that's where the silly wabbit got his ;-)

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The tilt is normal... the blades will get water spots.. a lot of us dry them off.. the angle of the head is very close to the angle of the shave. you hold it almost flatagainst the face.. I told you she was not a looker. But that WWII 1912 is one of my favorite handles... but do not tell Dave.:D Those are Treet blades.. when I get my Ted Pella's in from the group buy I will send you some to try out.

4. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I'm guessing the blade is some kind of carbon steel blade - I found those ones did tend to get some rust if you didn't rinse and dry them after each shave.

Honestly, the blades I liked the most when I had a 1912 were the simple ones you could get at CVS or Walgreen's. They gave a good, smooth shave.

Angle is completely different than a DE - as has been said, you hold the head of the razor almost flat against your face, maybe raising it just slightly. It's hard to break the habit of shaving at the "Gillette" angle, but you'll be rewarded by a very smooth shave.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Blades I sent were treet supers... I was thinking stainless but not sure

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Yep yep yep, a 1912 + CVS Blades = Smooth! :D

7. Will

Will Nevermind

Tanks brudda!

I shaved the right way with it I am sure flatagainst, got to be the blade.

It is a nice handle and the rough makes her have character and charm. I like em that way.

8. Teiste

Teiste New Member

SE shaving is a great pleasure.I have discovered lately too and love the 1912 and the GEM micromatics.I havent tried the Ted Pellas blades yet,only GEM and GEM blue with great results.With the slant the best shave that you can get(until I try the stra8 and compare)

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Glad you like her.. if you get into SE stuff let me know I will have a few for sale here soon that are much nicer.:D

10. Special_K

Special_K New Member

I'm listening........

11. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Congrats on trying out the 1912...my favorite SE! I'd suggest giving the GEM Stainless blades a try. I've found that Walgreens is a dependable source for the GEM Stainless, while Treet blades can be found at Rite-Aid, and Pal blades are sold at all the Family Dollar stores. Gem Blue Stars seem to be sold at just a few unrelated grocery stores around here.

The Treer Super is a carbon blade and it'll rust if not cared for properly. I rinse mine thoroughly with hot water, then park the blade in front of my bathroom air cleaner's air outlet to blow-dry away any remaining moisture. In fact, I park all my razors there after use to dry them out. I seem to get extra mileage out of all my blades by doing this.

Alternatively, after a thorough rinsing in hot water, you could swish the blade around in some rubbing alcohol and let it air-dry. This approach also works very well.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for the correction on the blades being carbon... I did neglect to mention that I use alcohol after the shave to clean the blades.. I have a stoneware razorbright on the sink for that. Looks nice and that is what it was made for.

13. Will

Will Nevermind

I will buy one just because... and PIF this one... or the one I buy, depends on who is cuiter. :D