First Schick Krona...help with dating please. The razor that is.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mbastings, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

Got this little beauty today for $4.99 at the antique store. It cleaned up pretty nice. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on dating the Krona. If I remember correctly, someone said that they did not date code their razors similarly to Gillette. When you open the silo doors, there is an A on the base plate. On the under side of the base plate are numbers and letters that are in this configuration.

2 2
    5 M

And it says Schick Made In USA. The lettering on the silo doors are smaller than the other Schick razor at the store that was in worse condition. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. PA040385.JPG

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

On another forum a few people have been doing some research on these, including yours truly. We have made a determination that codes do not necessarily match date records as some Gillette razors do. From photos, instruction books that came with the early razors, and magazine images it appears that they began production in 1964 or 1965 and continued to at least the end of the 1960s. From there it gets a little dicey because it appears that Eversharp/Schick was stockpiling these razors for later sales all the way into at least 1976-77 due to re-issuance of the Gold Plated units that were manufactured with designs from the earlier patent.

There were at least three different designs of this razor that had differences that can be seen. 2 ply split base plates versus 1 ply base plates and even a Eversharp version that weighs less than the Schick versions. If you count ones with and without Schick or Krona, the variant count can be increased.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here is a Schick Gold Tone from my collection that was made in the mid 1960s but sold in the 1970s with a plastic case.

[​IMG]

Here is a Nickel unit made in 1965 (which is written on the case) and two ply baseplate is a dead giveaway as to when this was made.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the baseplate of an Eversharp Eagle (Krona) made in the mid 1960s. More than likely 1965-66 since there was an ad campaign for Eversharp blades for this razor with production dates of 1965. Photo is to emphasize the baseplate. This is slightly lighter in weight than the Schick and the color of the barrel is grey tone.​
    [​IMG]
    Here is the same razor in a SOTD shot. ​
    [​IMG]
    I hope these two post help and I hope you enjoy your razor.​

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

Thanks for the info.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Man GD those are some beauties, I love my Krona, it's a nice shaver. Pretty mild and easy to use.

I bought a bunch of Supermax Titanium blades and the Krona is the only razor so far I care to use them in.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "two ply" base plate though.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Look at the back of the Gold Tone Razor. That is the earlier design. They actually used a bent piece to create the center bar from the baseplate and seamed them together. Others just have a single ply center bar connected to the baseplate. The two ply is seen on the center bar which comes from the baseplate. That is a more accurate description than what I first stated. Sorry for the confusion.

Lexicon Devil likes this.
  7. Lexicon Devil

Ah, I see now, the back of mine is totally different. Thanks.

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have no info on dates, but the Krona is one of my favorite razors.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Methinks he's been around here too long already and he's already on to us! :eek:

Lexicon Devil and GDCarrington like this.
  10. Lexicon Devil

Well now you've done it. GD, you enabler you. I had to get a "two ply" metal knob Krona off the bay. Should be here in a week or so.

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

12. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

It may be tough in running down a date on these guys but one thing for sure...they give one fine shave. The Krona is the only non-vintage Gillette I own and it gives the Gillette razors a run for their money.:D

Ed