First Shave - 1959 Fat Boy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tylerSC, Sep 19, 2013.

1. tylerSC

tylerSC Member

This is an E2-coded Fat Boy from 1959. It is the only safety razor I've tried besides by Edwin Jagger De89bl.

I really had no intention of buying a "new" razor so soon, but I got to looking around on eBay, one thing led to another, and before you know it, a package arrived at my door.

First of all, purely as an industrial artifact, this is an interesting machine. It is remarkably well-preserved, and was clearly not made "on the cheap." It was built to last. Having said that, it's not perfect - it looks like one end of the blade's edge is a little closer to the guard than the other. I'm not an expert, but I would grade it probably at 7-8 out of 10. A couple of the setting numbers have lost part of their paint, and it looks like it was used for a short period. Otherwise it's remarkably new-looking, and the mechanism is tight.

After soaking it in alcohol for a while, I put in a Feather blade and fired her up - great shave! The razor fits my hand well, and the cutting angle seemed natural. I started on setting "3," and ended up on "5". I love the grip security of the knurled steel, and the razor has a nice heft to it.

Overall, very happy with this purchase. It is a true, interesting antique, and it functions very well. Not bad for something that costs less than $100.00. fat boy 1.JPG Fat Boy 2.jpg Fat Boy 3.jpg

2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My second razor was a Gillette "FatBoy" also, it was an E3 I got it to commemorate my Fathers death,I was only 4 when he died so never knew him or what kind of razor he used....FatBoy's are "WONDERFUL" razors,probably my favorite adjustable..If I hadn't become a 3 piece man I'm sure I'd still be using my FatBoy...

I also have an EJ89, "GREAT" shave head less than stellar handle. Wayyy to slick and slippery for me with wet/soapy hands...If you want to get 100% improvement out of your EJ how your razor handles, change handles...You need to buy a vintage or used razor off ebay just for the handle, some handles I've used with success are the Gillete Fat Handle or Ball End tech,Durham Duplex,Star other vintage 3 piece handles may also work(most handles will fit the EJ as long as it's 10/32 threads) or you could get a new lower priced razor just for the handle like Sabi,Cadet,Parker or Maggard...I liked my Sabi T2 and Cadet handles "ALOT"!! Or you could spend the money right off and jump to the top and go SS. After trying "MANY" handles I wound up using and loving two, the Weber SS BullDog and the Griestshaving "NEW" fat handle in brass..:)

maltedmilk likes this.
  3. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you like your Fat Boy. I really like mine too. I especially like the way it feels in my hand.

4. cwnidog

cwnidog New Member

I'm rather fond of Fat Boys. It takes a bit of time to figure out how to maneuver that big head, but once you've got it, they don't disappoint,