First shave impressions

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Hodge, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I tried my merkur for the first time tonight with a Feather SS blade. I managed two passes without a nick or cut, so consider it success. The blade seemed pretty good with no tug to Speak of. Maybe Im a natural or got real lucky but I didnt find the technique hard to grasp. It does seem odd looking forward to shaving for the first time ever....

Bristle Me, caleb31, Spud and 7 others like this.
  2. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Congratulations! It isn't rocket science, its shaving. The Merkur razors do seem to make it easy.

Spud and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Medicus Ille

Medicus Ille New Member

I'm looking forward to getting my Merkur (and first razor) in the mail sometime soon. It's good to hear nice things!

JR Reyes likes this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Congrats!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

This is great news. Now let's see which acqusition disorder hits you first...lol. It's great that you actually look forward to shaving...I think you will find that all of us would agree.

Welcome "Hot Pepper" Hodge.

Bama Samurai and Medicus Ille like this.
  6. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Acquisition disorder sounds better than gear whore!! I've ordered 5 aftershaves, 3 shaving soaps, been scouring fleabay for vintage razors and mugs and have searched every artisan who claims to make the perfect scuttle. If it's anything like my current; hot pepper sauce making, spey fishing, fly tying, hunting rifle addictions, I'll have some classy stuff in short order. The only saving grace is wet shaving was my wonderful wife's idea...

I think after collecting a nice 59' and a 62', maybe restore a few vintage brushes, really sort out if soap is better than cream and find the perfect aftershave I might be done.......lol

caleb31, Troy M, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  7. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!! It only gets better from here.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If I had a dollar for every time I've read this one the forum, I'd retire to my beachfront condo on Mauiā€¦..:D

Congratulations on your early success! :happy036:

Troy M and Bama Samurai like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just got my first Feathers. I am finishing up NOVember and will be using them for the first time in December. Glad you were successful.
    zwelcome.jpg

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I have only been doing it for a few months and last night I looked and realized I had to many razors so I am selling a few. Of course that will just give me money to buy something else. :signs136:

Troy M and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD! Vintage shaving sounds like it's right up your alley!

12. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Good deal, enjoy yourself.

13. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Good show, stick with your instinct. Now don't read too much into the advice you get here, like golf or bowling too much advice will ruin your game. Treat these threads as interesting and try a few techniques but never lose sight of what worked for you.

Hodge, Mr. Droid and DEfettish like this.
  14. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

This ^^ is the best advice you will receive. If modifying a procedure, any procedure, makes it work better for you, do it! Experiment, and have fun. Just because something is cheap, doesn't necessarily mean it is bad, and just because it is expensive doesn't necessarily make it better... you will hear it a lot around here, and it is an undeniable truth; 'your mileage may vary'

Spud likes this.
  15. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Good advice guys, thanks.