First shave. PAA Starling GEM razor.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jan 9, 2018.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

No. It just needs to be designed correctly. The more I look at the pictures I would love to see the underside of the cap. That would help answer some questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. rabidus

rabidus Member

My A plate looks like yours! The Beta plate is tight though...

Str8on2 and PLAla like this.
  3. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

Mine comes Thursday. I hope I didn’t pay $40 for a aluminum handle. . I could of had a bundle soup and aftershave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redfisher, PLAla and dustmite like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Now I'm no machinist, but it looks as though because the handle is so far back, it's causing the plates to open up in front. Just a guess.........

Jorvaljr, Redfisher, Str8on2 and 2 others like this.
  5. Flyingbald

Flyingbald Member

That seems like a very good guess to me.

Redfisher and Herm2502 like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Why do you always have to make me look so dumb tom! Geez whiz !

Redfisher and twhite like this.
  7. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

The only error I can see when I loaded the GEM blade is just the top cap at the back needs more L shape corner edge folding downwards about another millimetre to come in contact with the base plate, both base plate looks okay trust me I'm an structural design draughtsman ;)

For another words is the top cap need to roll forward to allow the back end need more L corner shape to come in contact with the base plate, at the front of the top cap there should be no gaps between the blade this needed to be flush flat and level in between the blade.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Redfisher and twhite like this.
  8. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Do they have a return policy? Or maybe i should say satisfaction guarantee? ... can you send the razor back for a refund? Or is everyone who bought one just out $40

Redfisher, PLAla and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Well, this is their return policy from the site.......

** We will work with you on any issues that may arise with the quality of a product or any other situation that needs our attention. The best way to deal with any issues is to contact us directly. This will give us the opportunity to provide you with hassle-free, courteous service that wastes as little of your time as possible.

If you do return an item that qualified for free shipping considering order value, and the return of the item will leave the total order value less than the free shipping limit, we will deduct applicable shipping with the return.

We politely request that you bring all concerns or issues to our attention directly be writing to us at Support@PhoenixShaving.com. We thank you in advance for your understanding and compliance.

Our Facility is NOT open to the public, we do not have in person retail available at this time.

We kindly request you e-mail us instead of calling for fastest service at Support@PhoenixShaving.com. If there is no option to e-mail you can call 520-333-3335 but it may take some time for us to get back in touch with you, so please be aware of this, and we apologize. We appreciate your consideration and your interest.

10. LuvWetShavin

That was my exact thought, by looking at the pics up close there is obviously something keeping the top cap from seating against the base properly .. what AMAZES me is they would ship new razors out this way

11. LuvWetShavin

Did you read the Instructions???

Instructions: The Phoenix Starling SE is a 3-Piece GEM Type, Single Edge Safety Razor, not to be confused for it’s more Forgiving cousin, The Double Edge Safety Razor. Please pay close attention when shaving with The Starling for the first few times. Expect a slight learning curve if this is your first time shaving with a GEM Type, single edge razor.

There is a "slight" learning curve
    :lyrtuy5::happy097::lyrtuy5::happy097::lyrtuy5::happy097::lyrtuy5::happy097::lyrtuy5:

PLAla likes this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Looks dangerous. Not for me...(Be careful)

13. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Here is a quick look. As you can see from the first pic, there is a chamfered cut into the underside where the GEM blade shouldered sealed end (spine) sits into. In the next pic you can see how it seats flush into the top edge of the spacing, right under the stud. The following pic shows that the blade can actually be moved up or down. See the small space/gap exactly under that same stud? I believe this also contributes to the blade tilting inside between the top cap and base plate not allowing to be a more precise fit. Of course the machining tolerances can be off by a couple thousandths of an inch else where and it just makes this even worse. Any how, it’s just my theory. The fact is this: very poor workmanship and ill conceived to be honest. Funny thing is that the fitment is a tad better on the Beta plate, not much but noticeable......

EDFF78D4-D776-4856-B4A8-ECD4B66D83CF.jpeg

234AB38E-BDDE-4B02-B305-0F36A25930BE.jpeg

70E91A63-BF66-4B83-9A48-ACE356339AB3.jpeg

AF47AD00-340B-49E0-AEDA-73B9227D2A1B.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Glad there is clearance for the posts.
    Getting the blade to clamp flush on both pieces requires tight tolerances. If the angles are slightly off, or depths not perfect. It will not clamp correctly.

It is a cool design. I hope they can fix the QC problems. It is a simple straight forward design. Just needs good tolerances.

Good luck
    Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Keithmax, Redfisher, Str8on2 and 2 others like this.
  16. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

My blade fits in nice and tight. Blue Plate is far to mild for a Carbon Blade. The GOLD plate with a carbon blade feels like a slightly milder GEM CONTOUR II for me- but i cant really review it as I used this once - but the quality build is fine for me

Keithmax, Redfisher, Jim99 and 6 others like this.
  17. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I received one today and took a close look at. First even if you hold the blade flat to the baseplate the corners of the blade do not fit to the bladestops leaving them exposed. Next either the rear of the top plate or the rear of the bottom plate or both are not thick enough. This creates a fulcrum so as you tighten the handle the leading edge of the top plate lifts away from the blade. This leaves the blade essentially unsupported. Hmm.
    I went ahead and measured the thickness of both bottom plates at the rear edge and found quite a difference. The "A" (blue) plate is .129" thick. The "Beta" ( gold ) plate is much thicker at .148". So the fulcrum effect is greater with the blue one but is still there to a lesser degree with the gold one.
    Too bad really because the machining and appearance is very good and the overall feel in the hand is great. I love the handle. Need to work on the design though. Really should have been checked before release to the public.
    I don't know if I even want to bother with trying to shave with it, so I guess I'll see about returning it for a refund.
    In summary it does not support the blade at all allowing the blade to flex and move around under the cap. Stay away from this one guys. If it looks to good to be true and all that....

Keithmax, Jim99, twhite and 3 others like this.
  18. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    That was my experience also with the A blue plate. Once the blade is inserted and both top and bottom plates are attached, as you insert the handle and tighten that fulcrum point you mentioned raises the front of the blade rendering the blade stops useless. Conversely, the B gold plate although it has the same effect is much less noticeable and was quite comfortable during my shave with it. I spoke with PAA about my particular situation and showed them a few pics and they are sending me a replacement unit, no questions asked. I give them credit, they listened and that’s all you can ask for. Looking forward to the replacement and see how it goes..... :)

GarnerPW, Keithmax, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  19. Redfisher

I hope it's better I really do. If they send you the same thing well....:angry019:

20. Redfisher

For me I need to see two things. One I want the corners of the blade positioned behind the blade stops. Two the blade needs to be firmly held between the cap and baseplate.

Str8on2 and LuvWetShavin like this.