First Shave With A FEATHER Blade !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Christopher Powell, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Razor: Merkur 33C
    Blade: Feather
    Soap: Veggie 2.1
    Brush: Omega S-Brush
    Post Shave: Cocoa Butter Lotion

I received 4 Feather blades via a blade trade with another member here on TSD. Given Feather's reputation I decided to use my most mild razor and paired it with my favorite soap. Wow, I am very impressed. I didn't know what to expect give the reputation Feather blades have for being incredibly sharp. Are they sharp? Of course they are, but they didn't feel much sharper (or sharper at all) than Rapira Super Stainless blades. What surprised me the most was how smooth they are. This blade sliced through 3 days of growth like it was 1 day of growth. I received a 2 pass DFS shave with touch ups and there is no irritation at all. I am very interested to see how these blades hold up on the 2nd, 3rd and possibly 4th shave. I will post updates here !!!

Kokak, DaltonGang, PanChango and 6 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I'm glad you survived. :happy097:
    Yeah, there is a lot of hype about Feathers. I have tried them. To me they are not worth the extra bucks. Enjoy your shaves. I'll check back and see what you think of the next three shaves.

3. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I find them to be harsh.

Zykris and BigMark83 like this.
  4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Feather is my go to blade.

There is nothing to be feared with Feather, I think. As they are sharp, they also cause less tugging and higher precision of movements and less risk for nicks. I think it is easier to ease on the pressure with Feather as the razor will not jump but slice through the whiskers.

I think Feather (and other really sharp blades) got a bit higher risk to give some razor burn if one uses too much pressure/bad angle. A sharp edge scraping the skin will lead to some irritation.

Kokak, RyX and BigMark83 like this.
  5. Nate.H01

Nate.H01 Member

+1
    I find Lab Blues to be of similar sharpness but way smoother and much cheaper.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I find most all modern branded blades are pretty good, certainly better than those that were available twenty years ago.

Kokak likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

When I do use a DE razor (every 100 shaves or so :D), I grab a Feather blade & drop it into the 2011 R41. Whiskers don't stand a chance. :happy088:

Kokak and PanChango like this.
  8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I use feathers, but as soon as mine run out, I may not buy any more. I like Gillette silver blues...and they are cheaper along with being just as sharp.

Kokak likes this.
  9. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I tried about a dozen and a half shaves with Feather blades. Nicely sharp but not a forgiving blade on my skin. I still have I think two tucks that may never get used. I find so far my best blade are Polsilver Super Iridiums. As long as you enjoyed the shave go for it.

Kokak and RyX like this.
  10. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Well you use straights so ...

Kokak likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I wasn't impressed enough to buy more, especially for what they cost.

Glad you like 'em!

BigMark83 likes this.
  12. Christopher Powell

Second Shave With A FEATHER Blade

Blade: Feather (2nd)
    Cream: Barbasol Soothing Aloe

I just completed my second shave with the Feather blade and I continue to be extremely impressed. I decided to use Barbasol today because this was a quick shower-less shave. The shave was amazing again. I received a 2 pass DFS with touch ups and there is not 1 bit of irritation. After experiencing how great this blade feels in my Merkur, I'm curious as to how it will feel in my slightly more aggressive Weishi TTO. I will shave 1 more time with this blade and pair it with a different soap. After that I will load a new Feather blade into my Weishi and see how it goes !!!

Kokak, PanChango and Bama Samurai like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is my honest assessment of Feather also. Absolutely top tier performance, but not enough to move me off GSB.

Kokak, dustmite and BigMark83 like this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I enjoy Feather blades and use them regularly.

Kokak likes this.
  15. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

Great review :) Feathers are great blades for sure. I like to use them with certain razors, consistently sharp and always give me DFS without any problems.

Kokak and Christopher Powell like this.
  16. Christopher Powell

Third Shave With A FEATHER Blade

Blade: Feather (3rd)
    Cream: Derby Lavender

I know this is becoming predictable, but I continue to be very impressed by this blade. Third shave was amazing again. I decided to use the wonderful Derby Lavender cream, which is my favorite by far. I did notice there was a hint of tugging on my neck area but it was barely noticeable. I don't even want to call it tugging because it didn't hurt and removed my whiskers easily. I received a 2 pass DFS with touch ups and no irritation at all. No doubt I can get another amazing shave or 2 from this blade, but I'm going to switch to another razor/blade combo for my next 3 shaves. Will I buy Feather blades? I'm not sure yet. I don't know how much they cost and I don't know how they perform in my other razors yet. Also, I have a stockpile of about 300 blades that I know perform well in all my razors. Will I recommend Feather blades in a mild razor? Absolutely !!!

Kokak, CarlfromMO and dustmite like this.
  17. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you're enjoying them. Feather's were the first blade that I had consistently good shaves with, so that's what I bought. I used them exclusively for about 8 years, switching back and forth from DE to an injector. When I was having issues with my injector, I signed up here after following a Google search. I got bitten by the try 'em all bug, and started experimenting with blades again, and found that I can shave with just about anything now. I doubt that I'll ever buy a hundred-pack again, but I'll probably make sure I have a 10-pack in the house for when the mood strikes.

Kokak likes this.