First shave with a shavette...

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by rpaduano, Mar 18, 2014.

1. rpaduano

rpaduano Active Member

This morning I did the unthinkable...I tried my hand at a shavette for the first time on a work day (of all days). I received the Parker SR1 about a week ago, along with 5 sample Shark half blades. Cleaned it all up and loaded it over the weekend, in anticipation of using it at some point during the week. Well, this morning I pulled the trigger, and as this is the first time I am using a "stright" there was a lot getting used to.

It is a very aggressive shave, compared to the forgiveness of a DE. There are definitely a number of things I still need to master, and are all based on technique. Getting used to holding the razor with my left hand, for the left side of my face, will take a bit of practice. In addition, keeping the angle at 20-30 degrees from the plane of the face is much more critical than with a DE.

All said and done, I managed a WTG pass and a 1/2 XGT pass. I did not attempt an AGT pass as this would have sent me to the hospital. I still need to work on razor handling skills. Things I need to work on...

1. Getting used to using my left hand (i'm right handed) when shaving the left side of my face.
    2. Skin stretching is paramount, along with short and light strokes, and I need to do this better
    3. Until you get the hang of it, it will be a slow and concentrated shave, so this is not a rush job.

It is definitely a fun experience, even though the alum block stung much more than usual this morning. I did rely on finishing off with a Muhle R89, and will re-try the whole thing tomorrow. All in all, I feel that the right combination of shavette with razor blade will probably yield excellent results. I have a few milder razor blades I can use to try this out. I did get a few knicks and cuts, but nothing some cold water and a few good passes with an alum block could not take care of. I have to say that this morning is when I truly appreciated the alum block for the first time.

Practice and patience are the key with these shavettes...and I'm looking at this as a way to get used to holding the razors for when I make the leap to SR.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Congrats! Having fun is what it's all about.

3. Tsalagi44

Tsalagi44 Active Member

Keep at it. Like you said, practice is the key. Before you know it, using your left hand will become second nature.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There ya go! :happy088: Patience and practice - all you need.

And I still only use my right hand to make all three passes, even after five years with a str8.
    Just don't trust myself with that sharp edge in my left hand. :o

azsteelman likes this.
  5. Sargon

Sargon Well-Known Member

I just shave right hande2d, too. I'm actually ambidextrous, but I learned shaving right handed, and to switch sides I would have to learn to hold the blade with my other hand *AND* all the stretching motions, so I've never bothered. I do occasionally build lather with my left hand instead, though...